routing underground cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently digging a 600mm trench to lay mains electrics from my house to the new garage which requires buiding regs sign off. My question is what to do when I have to cross the sewage pipes in the drive do I have to go under the existing drainage or can I bring the cable over the top of the drains which will give me less than 600mm depth?

Any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Whichever you feel comfortable with. Though I'm not sure if theres any specific reg about this. Someone else will be along to answer shortly.

There is no reg for depth of burying SWA, it is a judgement call of the person doing the work. If the area is liable to be dug up ie for planting plants etc then the deeper the better. If going across an area that will be left untouched or under a patio then I usually dig to 400mm and place warning tape at 300mm. As it will be notifiiable work you can show the trench to the sparky signing off the work or as you are notifying BC yourself ask them if they want to see it before burying. I would also describe route of buried cable on the electrical installation certificate.
Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
I've always gone 18 inches down, with marker tape about 8 inches above that, if acheiving this depth means going under another service, then so-be-it.

The general rule is 600mm for HV and 450mm for LV. This is not set in stone.

0.6m is mentioned as minimum for caravan sites, so I recon that it's good for general burried cables too..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back