Moving the light switch to the other side of the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out kitchen is served by a single fitting in the centre of the room, with a switch at either end of room. One near the doorway into the hall, and one near the doorway to the utility room. The one at the utility room end is obscured by the fridge and can't be used. Over time the fridge moves on the tiled floor and eventually pushes the switch into the not-on-or-off position.

In the utility room, directly on the opposite side of the wall to the kitchen switch, is the utility room light switch. What I'm considering doing is drilling a hole all the way through the wall (it's a breeze-block wall) to the utility room and fitting a double two-way switch there. One for the utility room and one for the kitchen, then putting a blanking plate where the current switch resides.

Two questions: If the cable does not have sufficient slack to reach through the wall, can I extend it in a safe way? Obviously I could just use a choc block for this, but don't know if that's allowed. Secondly, are there any rules regarding moving the switch out of the room, or having the cable enter the back box from directly behind, that I need to know about?

The room above the kitchen has a tiled floor, so pulling up floorboards to get access to the cables isn't an option unless I want to re-tile the bathroom (which I don't).

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
That will be fine. Blanking plate will indicate presence of cable.

Chock blocks are fine to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back