Moving the stop cock

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of moving the stop cock. Would it be feasible to move the water pipe (black piping) and bring it up into the garage with the gas & electricity pipes. Does the water pipe need insulating and are there any regs that I need to follow. From other threads it looks like I haven't got to contact the water board?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's your pipe so you can move it to wherever you like. It must be buried at a depth of 750mm-1350mm below ground level, and must stay at that level until you bring it up through the floor. This will require the excavation of a good portion of your garage floor. The pipe should be surrounded underground by 100mm of sand or pea gravel.

The pipe should be run in a duct as it enters the garage underground, the duct should continue up to the floor level of the garage. If the garage is a solid floor then the duct does not require insulation, if it's a suspended floor then the duct must be insulated with approved insulation. Alternatively it is possible to purchase a length of pipe that is bonded into an insulated duct as a single component.

Take care digging near your gas pipe - it might be plastic, and whilst bright yellow and fairly tough, it's not impossible to put a spade through it.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve?

Thanks for your advice!

Two other things, there is a 4" diameter duct which bring the electric cable through the garage floor from outside, would it be possible to use the same duct for the water pipe? Secondly, will it be straight forward to connect the stop cock straight to the black alkathene pipe?

The reason behind moving it, is the fact that the pipe runs down the side of the house & around the back into the kitchen, but we're building an extension & it comes right in the centre of the footings. Becasue we're going to the boundary, there wasn't a great deal of room for it, so rather than duct it & pass it around the foundations to get to the back of the house, I thought it would be an easier option to keep it at the front from the direction it's coming from - Hope I'm doing the right thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back