Moving this away from a thread

Did it go to court? I've a feeling it would not stand up if so.
Oh yes, it took nearly 2 years to get them there but the really stupid thing is it was installed on behalf of the manufacturers and neither them nor their contractors were found blameworthy.

Fortunately no win-no fee.

Sponsored Links
Well @winston1 may have a valid point, I know with for example a freezer, volt drop is a problem when using a single phase motor, and as a result saying in the instructions do not use an extension lead makes a lot of sense ...
That depends on "what one is dropping from" - which is why, given the wide range of permitted supply voltages, the concept of 'voltage drop' within the installation (rather than 'acceptable voltages supplied to the equipment') is all a bit silly.

I would presume that nothing would be considered 'fit for purpose' anywhere in Europe (including the UK) if it could not function satisfactorily at the 'nominal' supply voltage (230V) yet the majority, quite probably the great majority, of installations in the UK have a supply voltage at least 10V higher than that (so could tolerate a VD of at least 10V in comparison with someone with a 230V supply).
... or do they leave it to the advertisement agency?
Advertising agencies would not be involved with instructions for electrical items, but when such agencies are involved (i.e. with promotional material/activities) they are almost paranoid about such matters, since it is at least partially them who would be at considerable legal/financial risk if what they did resulted in harm (commercial, physical or whatever). Over the years/decades, a fair proportion of the 'vetting' of material I've done has been for such agencies.

Kind Regards, John

So - the one Winston pictured of the MIs stating an FCU with a 16A fuse are on to a winner then; selling any old crap with impunity. ... There seems to be a huge lack of common sense around.
I don't think that, on the rare occasions they get involved in such things, the Courts are usually quite as stupid as people seem to think - and generally will not let people wriggle out of responsibilities by invoking arguments (e.g. about not adhering to silly instructions) that offend against common sense.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think that, on the rare occasions they get involved in such things, the Courts are usually quite as stupid as people seem to think - and generally will not let people wriggle out of responsibilities by invoking arguments (e.g. about not adhering to silly instructions) that offend against common sense.

Kind Regards, John
That's true to an extent, however at the end of the case the ruling has to be made on the basis of the evidence presented before it. If one set of experts makes the statement to the court that the kiln would not have overheated had it been powered by the OCD as instructed and the other team are unable to negate that statement then the outcome 'should' conform to that.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's true to an extent, however at the end of the case the ruling has to be made on the basis of the evidence presented before it. If one set of experts makes the statement to the court that the kiln would not have overheated had it been powered by the OCD as instructed and the other team are unable to negate that statement then the outcome 'should' conform to that.
Sure, but that's rather different....

... if there is a genuine disagreement amongst (genuine) expert witnesses (e.g. as to whether using a 40A fuse, rather than a 40A MCB could have resulted in the fire), then that is not a case of an 'obviously silly instruction' (the failure to conform with is being used in an attempt to wriggle out of responsibilities).

One would, of course, hope that (genuine) experts would not disagree about the 'silliness' of something that was clearly 'silly', but I suppose that 'hoping' does not guarantee that such will always be the case!

Kind Regards, John

One would, of course, hope that (genuine) experts would not disagree about the 'silliness' of something that was clearly 'silly', but I suppose that 'hoping' does not guarantee that such will always be the case!
Kind Regards, John

I hope you're correct, however if the 3A fuse in the MI has not been fitted and the equipment overheats [say due to shorted turns in the transformer] and catches fire. I would expect an investigation and the lack of the stipulated protection to be discovered and be be considered as the cause of the fire.

Regardless of who thinks something is silly one cannot get away from the fact that it has not been installed in the way that the manufacturer has designed it. The instructions are just that and form a contract. A court of law and insurance companies like contracts, it makes it so much easier to apportion blame.

We had aproblem in a night club where a visiting DJ added additional loudspeakers to the installed system and overrode the compressor. My boss attended as a callout, reset the compressor, disconnected the additional speakers and replaced the blown fuses with some a bit bigger [lets say 10A instead of 8A as a guesstimation] and he was happy to leave it like that. I went in the following day with the right size fuses as it had been demonstrated that the right size did the job properly and protected the amplifiers from damage. The larger size may not.

Regardless of who thinks something is silly one cannot get away from the fact that it has not been installed in the way that the manufacturer has designed it.

Has the manufaturer designed it be be any different in the UK than elsewhere? I don't think so. Why would he?

Has the manufaturer designed it be be any different in the UK than elsewhere? I don't think so. Why would he?
But still totally, completely and absolutly irrelevant. I it isn't installed as designed and constructed by the manufacturer then all bets are off, manufacturers liabilities cease the moment it's not installed properly. By properly I mean according to instructions.

But still totally, completely and absolutly irrelevant. I it isn't installed as designed and constructed by the manufacturer then all bets are off, manufacturers liabilities cease the moment it's not installed properly. By properly I mean according to instructions.
Where is the proof of this?

Is it a law?

Regardless of who thinks something is silly one cannot get away from the fact that it has not been installed in the way that the manufacturer has designed it. The instructions are just that and form a contract. A court of law and insurance companies like contracts, it makes it so much easier to apportion blame.
The Courts like written contracts, and they are even fairly happy about verbal person-to-person verbal contracts (provided there is no dispute about what was agreed - which there often is!), but I don't think that they don't like 'implicit contracts'.

I can't really see how what is written in instructions can necessarily be taken to create a contract, when nothing is compelling a purchaser of a product to even read them? Are not a lot of people just like me, in that they usually only read the instructions which come with a product 'as a last resort'? :)

Kind Regards, John
Edit: crucial typo corrected!

Last edited:
... manufacturers liabilities cease the moment it's not installed properly. By properly I mean according to instructions.
That's the point. That might be what you (and the manufacturer) mean by 'installed properly', but it certainly is not the case that experts would necessary agree that something not installed 'according to instructions' was not 'installed properly'.

Kind Regards, John

So what about that 16 a fuse that B&Q want in the FCU for their oven supply.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 182
So what about that 16 a fuse that B&Q want in the FCU for their oven supply.
Best to do it that way then. It will obviously be a different product to the one pictured.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back