Moving Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I want to move my toilet from 1 side of the bath room to the other. How easy is it to re-plumb the waste pipe to the existing SVP. IE can the waste pipe go through ceiling joists ???? What's the minimum fall is required to meet Building Regs ??

Evofluff

Sponsored Links
imo, no,but the top can go around the ceilng joists (unless thats what you meant)

you may want to consider an "auto air vent thingy" like this

you can tell i am not a plumber cant you ".............thingy"

Hi breezer

I'm not sure if I have explained myself properly. The bathroom is on the first floor and I want to put the new waste pipe in between the ground floor ceiling and the first floor.

OldandNew.jpg

Ceiling Joist run from left to right.

Can anyone else help

Fluff

What about toilet in top left corner? Then waste can run above joists (and floor) and can be boxed in. Then either out through wall then right turn to stack or right turn inside (bends aren't very tight though so big box in corner). and run inside to stack.

Option 2 is a macerator. Goes behind toilet and chews it up into small pieces (might be repairable if it breaks but I'd just buy another wouldn't you ? :eek: ). Waste pipe for these is only 20mm.

For both case you would need P trap toilet if you current one isn't (and you want to re-use it).

Sponsored Links
Hi Malc

Thanks for the reply.

Option 1 is a good idea but I was hoping to stick the 1000 x 800 shower there.

Option 2 is out the question. I can't stand macerators, there so noisy.

Any other ideas ???

Evofluff

At present your toilet is well positioned to meet existing soil pipe.
By moving to the other side you will have to run soil pipe under floorboards to connect on to SP.
As soil waste pipe is 110mm you will not be able to drill thru joists and have correct fall without your floor in danger of collapsing :LOL: so leave be or move soil vent pipe.
:)

What about below? That is go down through the floor then under the joists and out the wall to the stack. Of course you would lose ceiling height in the room below but perhaps that does matter. For example it might be a cupboard. If it is your lounge, well I can't a 4in pipe even if it is box in being acceptable :p

Hi Malc

Good idea Malc. The room below is the Kitchen / Breakfast room, could the pipe work be located into the stone wall ??? The stone wall is about 500mm thick. Very old house.

Evofluff

Even if it could would you want to? Carving a 110mm channel in solid stone would not be my idea of fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back