Moving twin plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be soundproofing a room, which will involve removing the existing side of a stud wall, and fitting acoustic plasterboard/mineral wool/acoustic mats/resilient bars onto the existing wall.

As part of this, the existing twin plug sockets on the walls will need to be disconnected/switched off - how easy is it to isolate them / do this?

Secondly, because the new acoustic plasterboard is thicker (100mm) than the existing plasterboard sheets (25mm), the plug sockets will still sit on the wall in the same place but will be further into the room (i.e. the difference between the 100mm new plasterboard and the 25mm old plasterboard i.e. 75mm) than they were before - do I need extra cabling for this / how difficult is this to do?

Effectively I'm going to be carrying out the process as described here: http://www.soundservice.co.uk/documents/pictorial_guide_stud_wall.pdf which doesn't give instructions on how to do the electric part!

Sponsored Links
I assume to avoid interfering with the acoustic levels, that the boxes would require to be surfaced mounted, if that was the case there is a chance that the cables could be a little short, would depend if there was any slack available.
But your main concern would be the de-rating of cables, as thermal insulation does have an effect on electrical cables, this could result in the safe current carrying capacity of the cables being reduced.

I assume to avoid interfering with the acoustic levels, that the boxes would require to be surfaced mounted, if that was the case there is a chance that the cables could be a little short, would depend if there was any slack available.
But your main concern would be the de-rating of cables, as thermal insulation does have an effect on electrical cables, this could result in the safe current carrying capacity of the cables being reduced.

With this in mind, would you suggest I employ a qualified electrician to make safe the cables pre-install of the acoustic boards, and then re-employ the electrician again to wire the cables back in post-install of the acoustic boards?

Or is this something that DIY manual/tutorial could cover?

It could be DIYed, but if you have not got the knowledge on how this is best done. It would be safer to get an electrician to have a look at what you have.

Sponsored Links
Is there a youtube video (or equivalent) that shows how to get the grey coverings over the electrical wires (as shown in step 11 of http://www.soundservice.co.uk/documents/pictorial_guide_stud_wall.pdf) so that I could actually remove e.g. plug socket, bound/isolate the wires in the grey casings, prior to completing the soundproofing works and then reattaching the electrical wires to the new surface mounted plug socket?

All I've found so far are videos that show how to change a plug socket (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL15uDqHrgI), which is extremely useful but doesn't give me that intermediate step of having the protruding cables covered in the grey casing allowing me to actually put the plasterboard/mineral wool/resilient bars on.

That picture just shows some cable before it has been connected to anything.
The grey covering is part of the cable, it isn't a separate item.

CA2.5GH.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back