Moving wall lights.....

I'm not sure what you are getting at ban; the safe zone for a lightswitch will be ~80mm wide, while a fuseboard will be likely somewhere nearer 300mm, as that is the width of the fitting. Its just the outside edges projected vertically upto the ceilling....

Or have I mis-understood the question?
No you haven't misunderstood the question.

Have I misunderstood the answer?

In the illustration below of an FCU supplying a cooker hood you'd be happy for the cable to take the route shown?

t249149.jpg

Sponsored Links
It'll only be 80mm wide... as defined by the flex outlet/single unswitched outlet installed behind the stainless 'chimney' section, or above the hood, etc.... same with the cooker... defined by the cooker outlet plate behind it....

And while I'd consider it very bad practice to zig zag about inside whatever zone is formed, I don't think there is anything (except common sense) that says you can't....

It'll only be 80mm wide... as defined by the flex outlet/single unswitched outlet installed behind the stainless 'chimney' section, or above the hood, etc.... same with the cooker... defined by the cooker outlet plate behind it....
But what if you can't see where the flex outlet plate is because it's behind an appliance permanently fixed to the wall?

But what if you can't see where the flex outlet plate is because it's behind an appliance permanently fixed to the wall?

Then when when you wish to drill a hole in the wall, you have to be aware that the accessory (and its associated safe zone) might be located at any point along the width of the hood, and you might want to take great care when drilling a hole (use detector, chip a bit of plaster away and look first, etc) or pop the stainless bit off and see exactly where it is...

Sponsored Links
What a lot of faffing around to solve a simple problem. You have already said your having the ceiling skimmed to remove the horrible artex,So cut a trap in the ceiling above your existing wall lights and to cover the new positions drop. Find the existing cables, joint in a maintenance free junction box to new cables, fish, or chase them down the wall , install wooden noggins to old ceiling and replace plasterboard you have cut out into holes,
Voila , job done and not too much mess, well a hell of a lot less than moving all the furniture etc in the room above, cutting out the floor, lifting carpet etc etc.

Nick

Just to update you... I took the boards up upstairs and relocated the wires to run vertically to the new position, as the existing cable was plenty long enough. No junction boxes needed. The wife's pleased and I even got to catch the rugby too. Job done. Thanks all.

Well done, bet you are glad you done it right now, sometimes it's easier to bite the bullet and just do it right first time, sometimes it isn't always as bad as you are expecting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back