MP bonding attached along length of service pipe?

The regulation is 528.3.3, and on a PIR would be a code 2.

If a cable or wire is attached to a gas pipe with ties, what is the next person who needs to work on that pipe going to do?

Sponsored Links
This is another of those things like the "cables clipped to fences" dilemma.

There is nothing in the regs that specifically says, "thou shalt not tie-wrap PEB's to pipes". However, when looking deeper into the regs you can find that it is prohibited.

I don't think it's in the current regs, but I read somewhere that cables had to have an independent means of support.

Sponsored Links
reg 522.8.4 makes a reference to support but not the means with which to acheive it!

yet another example i think of where the regs don't cover the question!!

so this still leaves us to 2nd guess the interpretation! 2 things are now apparent. 1. nowhere does it permit or prohibit the clipping of earth bonding to a gas or water main pipe and 2. there appears to be no definate advice on the un/suitability of earth cable to the effects of UV

There is nothing in the regs that specifically says, "thou shalt not tie-wrap PEB's to pipes". However, when looking deeper into the regs you can find that it is prohibited.

care to share? where is this prohibition? not trying to trip you up or prove you right or wrong i am genuinely interested!

What if you were to remove sections of insulation at regular intervals and connect the bonding cable to BS 951 clamps on the pipe?

GN8 advises that you should avoid non electrical services such as pipework as a means of support . The reason it gives is so that they are able to withstand mechanical damage and any factors likely to result in detrition . Also see 543.3.1 of regs .

kevindgas said:
cable ties are not recognised as proprietory fittings specifically designed for the purpose.

Cable ties are not designed for tying cables? Well I'll be damned! I always thought that's exactly what they were designed for.

Bugger. I've got several thousand to go and remove now...

Sheds's idea is a good one, but you're not allowed to bond on the gas board's side on the meter. :(

I think it's a perfect, simple and common sense way to attach a PEB in this situation .

As has been said, we're not talking about securing a load of multicore cables all the way around the house, we're talking about running a single conductor a few metres along the pipe to which it will be connected!

Would you really code 2 this?

I think it's important to maintain a sense of perspective.
[/i]

So a short length of mini trunking or pvc conduit wouldn't be further up the list?

I wouldn't contemplate using up to 10 clamps over a 4M piece of pipe.

It seems it wasn't just me who couldn't find a definite answer then :LOL:
I think in this case I'll just clip it to the wall just to be on the safe side :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back