MR16 dead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve got two naff multi colour led bulbs in my kitchen along with 13 normal led cool white bulbs.

I took one of the bulbs out and noticed it was MR16, then checked the normal one bulb and MR16 too.

I thought righto I’ll need to buy 15 MR16 bulbs, it seems that not many places are selling them, all GU10. I researched the difference and can tell why gu10 seems to be the standard as no transformers needed.

I’m guessing they’re phasing out MR16, but is there a specific end date?

I think I’ll be purchasing some new mr16’s from tool station as at least they have them albeit next day delivery.

When those bulbs die, I guess it’ll be a case of going to gu10 which is a bit annoying as it works out expensive option

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I suppose MR16 are no longer made, but there are equivalents, the MR stands for mmultifaceted reflector, and most LED's don't have a reflector, the 16 is 16/8 inch across, so both the GU10 and the G5.3 bulbs were MR16 bulbs.

The problem was the old electronic transformers have a minimum output, and so will not work with LED, however the DC versions with a voltage range 10 - 30 volt used a lot in caravans and boats, and 50 Hz versions used for bathrooms, so the 12 volt G5.3 bulb is unlikely to disappear any time soon.

I am all GU10 now, but more so I can use cheap smart bulbs. The G5.3 are getting less popular, due to needing some way to drop the voltage to extra low voltage, so the low voltage (230 volt) are being used more, but for inside wells, garden, bathroom etc extra low volt is still really required.

I must admit the lighting industry use names wrongly and are confusing, calling 12 volt low voltage when it is extra low voltage, and wire wound transformers and ballasts have been replaced with electronic units which do the same job, and old name has been retained, and they tend only to call the 12 volt 2" spot lights MR16 where as when we used tungsten we could get 12 and 230 volt versions with G5.3, GU10, and SES bases, today most are technically not MR16 as no reflector but the lighting industry still calls them MR16 but only the 12 volt versions, not a clue why, you would need to ask the manufacturer of the packaging.

But we still call the testing of a car an MOT, and the ministry of transport changed its name many times, when it was the department for the environment we did not change name to dfte and it has changed names so many times just as well.

Anyway I must get out my air volatility cleaner, it has never produced a vacuum but people still call it a vacuum cleaner or hover.

You mean it is 2” diameter.

Many GU 10 are MR16

No and no.

But as I said many GU10 are MR16

You are welcome.
Just a recap GU 10 is a type of base.
MR16 is the size of the reflector. MR16 can be GU 10, GU5.3, SES, SBC and others.
Ah I see, are they phasing out GU5.3?, this is what I have with the two needle like pins at the bottom.

I’m not sure if it’s a phasing out or supply shortage issue

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah I see, are they phasing out GU5.3?
As Eric said earlier, they get used (or did do 'till recently) for garden ponds, and other garden lighting, whirlpool baths/hot-tubs and the like, as well as boats, caravans, motorhomes etc, so unless I'm mistaken, they'll probably be around for a while.
If the purchase price comparison is not heavily in favour of GU10 (and I wouldn't expect so), you might as well continue with your GU5.3s.

I have also wondered, will I be able to get a replacement bulb for my projector? Same goes for the old fires with a bulb and a fan which turned and caused the light to flicker, but the g5.3 spot light is still available advert here 540 lumen at 7 watt [/url] is 77 lumen per watt, so over the 75 lumen per watt limit, but this one is 2.8 watt at 365 lumen some 130 lumen per watt. The latter is DC and more expensive.

Something I hadn't considered, but I'm assuming, looking at that advert, that maybe your normal 'domestic' GU5.3 lamps can't be used on DC... This is relevant with LED as apposed to tungsten obviously

But isn't it a DC output from an SMPSU anyway?

I've never tried, but is that not the case?

Last edited:
Reading that (DC lamp) advert again, I think the difference is just that it can cope with 24v as well as 12v, not that it's specifically DC.

Seems it's just a more efficient lamp

As Eric said earlier, they get used (or did do 'till recently) for garden ponds, and other garden lighting, whirlpool baths/hot-tubs and the like, as well as boats, caravans, motorhomes etc, so unless I'm mistaken, they'll probably be around for a while.
If the purchase price comparison is not heavily in favour of GU10 (and I wouldn't expect so), you might as well continue with your GU5.3s.
I wonder if it is indeed a supply issue rather than a phasing out like I thought.

GU5.3 hasn't been banned or removed from anywhere, neither has GU10 or any other connector.
Halogen lamps with those connectors were banned years ago, what's still available is old stock that people hoarded.

LED versions of both are still available, but the GU5.3 12 volt versions are far less popular, mainly due to the added expense of using them as they require individual 12V power supplies.
There is no advantage to using them compared to the GU10 230V versions so they will probably disappear eventually.

There was an advantage to using the 12V halogen versions compared to the 230V halogen, as the 12V versions were significantly brighter for the same power and lasted longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back