'Muhammad' teddy teacher arrested

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gillian Gibbons is described as "a talented and able teacher "
A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan accused of insulting Islam's Prophet, after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear Muhammad.
Colleagues of Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, said she made an "innocent mistake" by letting the six and seven-year-olds choose the name.

Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

The BBC has learned the charge could lead to six months in jail, 40 lashes or a fine.

Officials from the British embassy in Khartoum are expected to visit Ms Gibbons in custody later.

"We are in contact with the authorities here and they have visited the teacher and she is in a good condition," an embassy spokesman said.

The spokesman said the naming of the teddy happened months ago and was chosen by the children because it is a common name in the country.

"This happened in September and the parents did not have a problem with it," he said.

Sponsored Links
A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan accused of insulting Islam's Prophet, after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

I would have thought that naming the bear Mohammad was a compliment. Some of the leading politicians out there are called Mohammad as are some of the criminals. Shouldn't some of them be charged with bring the name into disrepute?

It's amazing to think that with all the technology in the World, and millions of scientific achievements that man has accomplished, that the majority of humankind are thicker than dog poo*

*Yes religious nutters of the World, I'm talking about you all!

Sponsored Links
As i understand it, she had only been there a short time, and did not understand the implications of it.

Still a massive over reaction, as is usual by religious fanatics.

Just shows you how crazy we are in this country letting the PC lefties take over.They are doing there best to do away with Christian celebrations such as Christmas,Easter,hot cross buns etc,any symbol of this Christian country of ours, in case it offends other faiths living here, who to be honest are not offended anyway...but in other countries there is no mercy.Stick by their religion and beliefs or face the consequences.This country, it's beliefs and hard fought freedoms, are being strangled to accomodate the views of incomers,who should accept that if they want to live here,they live according to our way.If it is not acceptable to them,there is always the road home. Australia is a fine example of that way of thinking,a view shared by probably millions in this country.

Roughcaster.

What are you on about, Roughcaster?

Are you suggesting that we are wrong, because we don't arrest and possibly flog a teacher whose class of schoolchildren choose a particular name for their teddy bear?

Don't be daft John.The point I am making is quite obvious.It just shows the comparison between live and let live in this country and other countries. But saying that,we don't want to be see the erosion of our beliefs,traditions, etc. for fear of offending others who come here to live.They're not offended anyway,they say that, it's all in the mind of the PC minority, who are listened too, far too much by a few political fools. As I said,this is our country.Let's keep it that way.

Roughcaster.

What are you on about, Roughcaster?

Are you suggesting that we are wrong, because we don't arrest and possibly flog a teacher whose class of schoolchildren choose a particular name for their teddy bear?

Just how did you arrive at that interpretation of roughcaster,s post..... :confused:

roughcaster is spot on by the way

Don't be daft John.The point I am making is quite obvious.It just shows the comparison between live and let live in this country and other countries. But saying that,we don't want to be see the erosion of our beliefs,traditions, etc. for fear of offending others who come here to live.They're not offended anyway,they say that, it's all in the mind of the PC minority, who are listened too, far too much by a few political fools. As I said,this is our country.Let's keep it that way.

Roughcaster.

i totally agree with the pc comment, this country has gone downhill fast, we are not even meant to sing certain christmas carols due to offending the minority of this nation who were not born here and probably dont contribute to the system as we all have all our lives, dont get me wrong i know lots of asians, etc that work hard and contribute, but the voices we hear are usually the foreign people who dont work and have no time on thier hands except for complaining and i for one say if you dont like OUR system dont stay here.

sorry for mini rant but its gets me going.

I posed my question becuase of "Just shows you how crazy we are in this country letting the PC lefties take over."

We are tolerant of various religions and cultural practices. I don't think tolerance is crazy. If the people of Sudan were tolerant they wouldn't have arrested that woman and she wouldn't be at risk of being flogged.

Hooray for tolerance.

Being tolerant of various religions,cultural practices etc is one thing.We can, and do accept them for what they are,as being meaningful parts of peoples lives, that come here from around the world. That is not the argument. We should not have to give up or change any part of our age old religious customs,cultural practices etc,we should not have to change words,(Christmas to Winterval)we should not have to remove crosses from peoples necks,or crosses from hot cross buns.I could go on and on.Tolerance is, or should be a two way thing,but it's not.In this country,it is us,the indiginous population,we are the ones who have to make the sacrifices, to save upsetting incomers.The majority of people nowadays see tolerance as something that is given to other people, only for us to lose something precious in return.Hooray for tolerance??? Not in the way it's going.

Roughcaster.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. She should be flogged.

according to the koran or however you would like to spell it says

" no object, item or person shall be given the name mohammed"

so does that mean 100,000s of parents literally should be flogged? surely calling some snotty kid mohammed is far worse than naming a cute teddy bear!

Sponsored Links
Back