Multi-fuel Stove Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into house which has an open fireplace. There is no mantel piece but a square recess in the chimney breast with tiled floor and a flue!

We would like to install a small multi-fuel stove to supplement the central heating, as the house is rented we are looking if it is possible to do a safe and neat install without costing lots!

I have looked up the flue and I can see the end of the chimney liner has been crushed shut just above where the register plate would sit.

Is this able to be salvaged somehow?
Could we install a register plate with a longer spigot inside the chimney to bridge this damaged area?

Also looking for recommendations for small stoves. I read good things about the 'Salamander Hobbit' stove.

Sponsored Links
The liner could have been for gas fire and therefor unsuitable for stove. Get a quote from qualified installer, you will get idea of work involved.

as long as you realise the stove is the cheap part
the fitting is the expensive part
a stove is an expensive to run time consuming lifestyle choice thats why there are plenty second hand and cheap:D
if you have gas central heating a kw off heat costs about 5p if you buy wood or pellets its several times more

as long as you realise the stove is the cheap part
the fitting is the expensive part
a stove is an expensive to run time consuming lifestyle choice thats why there are plenty second hand and cheap:D
if you have gas central heating a kw off heat costs about 5p if you buy wood or pellets its several times more
Expensive? not cost me anything to date for fuel.

Sponsored Links
is your time free:D
the point i am making is its a life style choice with high set up costs high running costs and loads off time and effort needed
most people think free energy with little effort which is far from the truth for most:cool:

It would have been used for a solid fuel stove of some type. There is no gas on site, there is no oil feed either and the recess is small.

We are out in the countryside and have an abundance of timber. I am aware that it is good practice to have a coal fire occasionally to burn off residues you get with wood!

It would have been used for a solid fuel stove of some type. There is no gas on site, there is no oil feed either and the recess is small.

We are out in the countryside and have an abundance of timber. I am aware that it is good practice to have a coal fire occasionally to burn off residues you get with wood!
You are aware timber from source ideally needs two years storage before use?

More importantly, you need to get permission from your landlord. In an ideal world, the Landlord or the previous tenants took the old stove with them, but you'd still need to do the work under a building control notice. What't the size of the room; WxLxH in metres.

Can you install a register plate above the crimped section, and can you get the damaged piece out successfully. Post a picture.

Don't listen to those knocking your idea down. I have two stoves and a lot of my close family have them too - they are (in my opinion) fantastic. I wouldn't say it's a "lifestyle" by having one; it takes me minutes to get the stove going when I get home from work and building it up with small logs is something you do in between boiling the kettle and getting changed. After that, it's topped up nown and then through the evening giving off lots of lovely warmth.

Having it fitted can cost a bit, but no more (probably less!) than a new boiler. It cost me £890 for the living room and £750 for the kitchen and that's everything all in (materials, stove, plastering, hearth, etc.) It can get expensive if you don't source logs properly though. A lot of people just go to eBay for the "pre cut, fully seasoned" etc. builder's bags to be delivered at over £60 a bag. Stay local and you'll be fine. I often go to furniture factories (live in an upholstery/furniture town) and ask for their off-cuts - I pay a token amount and get kiln-dried stuff. There are also lots of local firms selling seasoned stuff in every village I know and it's cheaper because you're local.

i am not for one second trying to put anyone off :D
i am just trying to put all points forward and remove the rose tinted specs so people can further research and see everything thats involved :rolleyes:

I agree - hopefully the OP will have a bit more food for thought now both viewpoints have been put forward.

No argument intended; I just remember having the idea put down when I first went for a stove.

i love my wood burner in my work shop and all timber i burn is free
even i will use an electric heater on some days as the 5 or so units used costing 65-80p saves annoying the neighbours with the smoke you get with a well closed down fire:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back