Multimeter recommendations

A clamp-on meter something like this
1346252294-18870900.gif
is likely the best all round meter.

Because it does not use leads to measure current it is harder to make a mistake. The leads provided with most cheap meters are not good enough for mains use there is a general guidance number given to leads but can't remember it something like GU 38.

The clamp on comes in two types most measure AC current only some using hall effect can also measure DC but are more expensive. There are also some super sensitive types for measuring earth leakage.

Had mine for years bought in Hong Kong when I worked there had many new sets of leads but still same meter. One handy thing is you can hang it off something to use it. The pen type
$T2eC16N,!%29cFIdYL3RW7BSRoJ7hKEg~~60_35.JPG
are also easy to use only need two hands instead of three to hold meter and to probes.

Sponsored Links
I would second ericmark for a cheap clampmeter. I have that exact one in the first picture, auto-ranging and very good.

Maplin were useful a month ago when at parents and needed to fix boiler pcb, but I wanted to replace the electrolytics.

Unfortunately they're website wasn't so useful. I noted down the old-style part numbers without the check character (as you can quote in the shop), but when I searched for stock it didn't recognise them.

Part of the problem of having a mix nowadays of AA11 format numbers with an extra check character at the end, and A11AA references without.

I remember Byte magazine!
I have some very old issues of Byte, but I don't think I can compete with BAS's one for age. However, I have a lot of discoloured copies of 'Practical Wireless' and 'Radio Constructor' dating from the early 60's, and copies of 'Practical Electronics', Practical TC' and 'Wireless World' from a bit later (probably early 70s).

Kind Regards, John

This thread is turning into pure nostalgia! ... remember many happy a time in those places, as well as Edgeware Road. All packed with Government surplus places to be replaced by up and comming audio and HiFi shops.
Indeed. Indeed, a good few of those 'war surplus' places metamorphosised into audio/HiFi shops.
Maplins I used back in the days when their only place was at Southend as a mail order only operation. At the start, early 1970's, from one of its founders bedroom. ... As said pure nostalgia.
Same here. IIRC correctly, at the time I started using Maplin (early 70s), the main other easily accessible major sources for the hobbiest of new (as opposed to 'surplus') electronic components were 'Home Radio' in Mitcham and, I think a little later, Henry's (Radio) - initially in North Wharf Road, until they eventually moved around the Corner into Edgware Road (opposite Smiths).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have some very old issues of Byte, but I don't think I can compete with BAS's one for age.
That photo is off t'internet.

BUT - I used to have a copy of that very issue (which is why I knew to go looking for the photo). Sold it a few years ago on eBay.

However, I have a lot of discoloured copies of 'Practical Wireless' and 'Radio Constructor' dating from the early 60's, and copies of 'Practical Electronics', Practical TC' and 'Wireless World' from a bit later (probably early 70s).
Also a few years ago I sold a couple of issues of Popular Wireless from 1928 & 1933, along with a number of contemporaneous data sheets, construction plans, catalogues...

Job Stocks in St Mary's Road Walthamstow, ex army equipment. Everything from new fangled diodes (to replace cat's whiskers) to Type 19 sets in full working order. Many still wrapped in that brown tropical waxed paper ( cloth ? ) packaging

A company whose name I forget in Brentwood Essex that sold new components such as transistors, it was a trip on the train to visit them.

Yep nostalgia. modern day newbe engineers will never have the fun of the 50's and 60's electronics

Also a few years ago I sold a couple of issues of Popular Wireless from 1928 & 1933, along with a number of contemporaneous data sheets, construction plans, catalogues...
I didn't realise you were that old :) I still have a whole pile of technical specification catalogues (mainly Mullard and Siemens) from 60s and 70s, not to mention a lot of electronics books from that era.

Kind Regards, John

Cut my teeth on Scroggies "Foundations of Wireless" (pre 1960 edition)
The only school prize I ever managed to achieve, and that was for woodwork !

Cut my teeth on Scroggies "Foundations of Wireless" (pre 1960 edition)
I have a copy on my shelves somewhere! - if I can find it, I'll tell you the vintage. My interest in such things started around 1960/61.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back