using a multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm a plumber on a long contract installing combi boilers and would like to get into fault finding and repairing them (knees starting to crumble) i know its gonna take a while training etc but can anyone recomend a good book or website showing how to use a multimeter (i basically know about the mechanical side) cheers

Sponsored Links
Have a look at this site - it also contains links to other useful sites further down
http://www.answers.com/topic/multimeter

If you also look in those Haynes manuals on repairing washing machines, I believe they also cover the subject - order one from your library then you don't have to pay anything. (I know how frugal you plumbers can be!)
Best of luck :rolleyes:

Sorry I don't know of any website, but I would have thought for your needs you will be checking continuity & voltages which the instructions in the multi-meter will tell you how to do. If you already know your way round the mechanics of boilers I don't think you will have too many problems with the electrics. From what I have seen most boilers seem to have excellent instalation manuals, with flow charts that guide you through the diagnostic process for electrical & mechanical faults. I would have thought your best bet would be to buy a multimeter & read the instructions repeatedly until you are sure you understand how to use it, then practice on batteries, old components etc. An understanding of basic electrics is essential before you start playing with mains supplies though.Try your local college.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back