How do you use a multimeter???

Thats the problem breezer it doesn't tell you what does what. It's only 6 little tiny pages in length.

For resistance it staes.
1. Connect the black test lead to the com and the red lead to the V jack... No problems
2. Set the rotary switch at desired range position. (doesn't say what presumes one knows) and connect test leads across resistance under measurment.

That's great but it's presuming that i even know how to connect leads across resistance. And i don't

The above points are the whole section for resistance testing.

Sponsored Links
believe it or not its true (a bit vague though) you start at the highest and work your way down if you are not sure.

to check the resistance of anything you need to make sure IT is not connected to ANYTHING else i.esupply, then put your leads across where it connects to, in the case of a kettle, its plug.

Have you got the probes plugged into the correct sockets at the bottom? Usually one set is reserved for high voltage or current.

As to connecting loads across resistance, just touch them to either end of whatever you want to measure. Works ok so long as you have one hand to hold each one. Or if you have some resistors to try out, just wrap the resistor lead around the propbe. You can get probes with clips on the ends.

Be aware that if you overload a sensitve range you might blow a fuse or something internally. Easiest way to do this is by having it set to amps when you try to measure volts.

andemz said:
For resistance it staes.
1. Connect the black test lead to the com and the red lead to the V jack... No problems
2. Set the rotary switch at desired range position. (doesn't say what presumes one knows)
Yes - it does assume that you know the difference between current, voltage and resistance - it's not the job of the instruction manual to teach these things..

That's great but it's presuming that i even know how to connect leads across resistance. And i don't
You're lacking fundamental electrical knowledge, and you won't acquire it from a multimeter instruction manual, no matter how good.

It's been so long, I can't recommend any books I'm afraid, but this stuff is taught at GCSE physics, so that might be worth a try, as might an interweb search such as +electric* +theory +101

Sponsored Links
The problem is not really about how to use a multimeter but rather a lack of basic electrical knowledge. You need to understand the relationship between volts, amps and ohms (Ohm's Law), the difference between a.c. and d.c. , a bit about simple circuits, etc. before you can use a meter to measure these things.

I suggest you get a book on basic electrical theory from your local library and/or maybe go to an evening class on the subject.

In the meantime, beware of measuring anything connected with your household electricity supply. A small slip can make a big bang or a nasty shock. If you want to experiment, use a small dry cell battery like those used in torches and small portable appliances. The worst you'll do then is make a spark.

Switch the meter to resistance,if the probes are not touching anything the meter will show zero,hold the probes on each other and the meter will show a reading ie loop.Hold one probe with your fingers and you will get a low resistance reading.Put one probe on the screw of a socket and one probe on anything that is earth bonded ie water pipe and the meter will show a full short when switched on the res reading,also known as continuty reading.

maxwell10 said:
Switch the meter to resistance,if the probes are not touching anything the meter will show zero,

yeah right, course it will. not

maxwell10 said:
Hold one probe with your fingers and you will get a low resistance reading.

maxwell10 i can see you are trying to help, but you make so many errors / mistakes, please do not help anymore with electrical

spelling mistakes are irrelevant, the advice you give can be / is / wrong/ dangerous

i have nothing personal against you (though you seem to have with me, since all you can do is to complain about my spelling) i just asked you not to give any more advice in uk electrics, since i worry about how long before some one follows tha advice you give and kills them selves.
As i also said i can see you are trying to help, but electrics is obviously not your subject.

lets keep this fourm a nice place

Not a problem ladies... sorted it out. Did as many stated..... i.e. experimented around in a safe capacity that is. tested a battery out of a house alarm that i had spare and got the voltage measure...

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back