How do you use a multimeter???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can probably see from a recent post that i've been looking at, i am trying to understand how to use a multimeter.

I have just been out and purchased one.

Digital LCD display: - DC Volt Measure upto 1000V, AC Volt Measure, DC Current, AC Current, Resistance, Diode, Transistor and audible continuity test

One thing however. The instructions are naff and i really cant get to the bottom of it.

I have rigged up a little lighting circuit. Everything works fine on the circuit. From Mains to Sw FCU then into each light only 3 x 50w. Now i just wanted to know how to continuity test things etc.

I'm not expecting a step by step guide but could you point me in the right direction by way of website etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but it doesn't really explain things well enough for beginners.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Would anybosy like to set me a little test, to see if i have got the grasp of things. Nothing to fancy though....

There are so many flippin dials on this thing, i probably will never use half of them

pic or refernce to it would help.

try this (if you want to) put 2 torch batteries end to end what voltage do you get? and why

NO ANSWERS FROM OTHERS PLEASE

andemz said:
Would anybosy like to set me a little test, to see if i have got the grasp of things. Nothing to fancy though....

get a few resistors and measure them. or see what the mains voltage is where you are (mine is usually 243 volts for those interested)

andemz said:
There are so many flippin dials on this thing, i probably will never use half of them

you will eventually. just experiment with it

that is a good idea (resistors) go to maplin and get some, wire then in series, then paralel see what happens.

also DONT check the mains YET

unplug your kettle and "meter that" now swicth it on (the kettle) with it still un plugged

I will go to maplins and get some resistors.
This is the multimeter
RAP%20DM25.jpg

Jumbo display meter with yellow protective holder designed for multi-functional testing for up to 700V
AC, 1,000 DC 20 amps AC/DC and 20M ohms.

Test diodes and transistors and checks for circuit continuity.

If the instructions were clearer, then it wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't tell you where to turn it if testing mains or what setting it should be on and i can't get it to beep for continuity...

instructions are never clear. you always have to experiment

andemz said:

either my pc is playing up or my eyesight, i can only see one dial :confused:

No it's not your PC... CORRECTION....There is 1 dial with so many different numbers, symbols etc V- V~ A~ A- hFE and others....

Had a go but am getting no reading. I've got it on the V- setting 20. I've got a black wire into Com and a red wire into V. Where do i put the prongs.... Really the instructions are that bad. I've never even done this in my life and i haven't got a clue. Even the websites are not that clear on showing how to measure. ETC.

I appreciate your time.

first things first. V is for volts, (i suggest you try and read the manual agin, not all of it just as to what does what) you are trying to read resistance, have another look at the website i refered yo to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back