Multimeter shows 1 when taking Voltage reading

I turned the dial to the V with the squiggle and set to 600 stuck the pins across the wires and it just shows a 1 in the left corner of the screen.
What does the display show when set to that range with the leads not connected to anything?

so turning it on to 600 it counts down from over a 1000 to around 20 then settled around 10.connecting the prongs together or on my finger doesn't do anything significant. just bounces around 4

EDIT: VDC seems to look ok, crossing the wire shows an immediate 0

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a bad meter, at least on the ACV range(s).

a new one is like 5 quid I'm thinking I'll just order one, I replaced the battery in this one as I left it on Ohms testing, the battery for a fiver! could have a got a new meter with battery for that! :)

Sponsored Links
If you are wanting it for mains electrical work I'll strongly advise you to get a set of voltage indicators such as these clicky which do not require any setting prior to voltage measurement.
(The cheapest ones in that range by fluke can be had for around the £30 mark.)

If you are wanting it for mains electrical work I'll strongly advise you to get a set of voltage indicators such as these clicky which do not require any setting prior to voltage measurement.
(The cheapest ones in that range by fluke can be had for around the £30 mark.)

yeah they look pretty good, think I'll grab a set of those. those are the only tests I use any way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back