WF100 CAI certified cable for Virgin Media replacement?

Well, I learn something new every day! But that "RG6xx" is way better than the UK variant, which nowadays has a steel core.

RG59 is rather crappy stuff with 0.8mm copper centre core and aluminium screen. In fact, if you replace the RG59 with WF100, you can probably add around 30% to the length and keep the signal loss the same.

There are better variants of RG59 too. I use Liberty Interflex-SD for some of my high-end AV installations that require analogue 1080p video connections at high refresh rates such as 72~96Hz. Despite being a smaller diameter cable than RG6 class cables, and it having a 0.8mm centre core, it is still comparable in performance to Webro WF100 for Capacitance, and Impedance, and VOP, and SRL and attenuation. Liberty even produce the attenuation figures up to 4.5GHz per 100ft (it's American) which I don't think I've ever seen from Webro, not that it really matters much.

You're right though that in the normal course of conversation we do tend to think of RG6 as the cheap CCS/barely-any-braid rubbish and I always think of standard RG59 being limited to baseband video @ 5.5MHz, but they're really just size designations for the overall diameter and general physical dimensions. Within each category there's a range of products with vastly different performance specs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back