Multimeter Tests for DIYer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have the following multimeter...

MAS830L.jpg

When carrying out basic home electrics modifications what tests can I perform for safety with the above device other than basic voltage, without having to invest in a proper testing unit, and how? Is this continuity capable etc?

Sponsored Links
Apart from measuring voltage you can do a limited continuity test - I doubt the multimeter will push enough current around the circuit to do the continuity test nor will it display the result to a low enough resolution to be able to use it for R1+R2 results.
You can test for shorts between conductors, you cannot really test insulation resistance as the multimeter doesn't produce the required 500vDC.
To do testing properly you need an electrical installation tester such as a Megger MFT1552 - costs a few ££££s I'm afraid but if we could get away with using a multimeter instead there wouldn't be a market for installation testers.

If it's reasonably accurate at low-ohm levels (<1) then you should be able to get a reasonable indication that you have got cpc continuity, even if you can't be sure what the resistance actually is.

You could do worse than watch this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNITEST-TELAR...Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2eacfd8323. Not one of the better known makes in this country, and IMO he's asking too much for it. If it doesn't sell he might take an offer, or re-list at a lower price.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If it's reasonably accurate at low-ohm levels (<1) then you should be able to get a reasonable indication that you have got cpc continuity, even if you can't be sure what the resistance actually is.

You could do worse than watch this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNITEST-TELAR...Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2eacfd8323. Not one of the better known makes in this country, and IMO he's asking too much for it. If it doesn't sell he might take an offer, or re-list at a lower price.

Thanks guys for your reply (and BAS :p), I can't justify spending hundreds unfortunately at this stage although do have a genuine interest in persuing a backup career in electrics so may start saving the pennies.

So with the multimeter I have, I am familiar with the settings for measuring voltage (lol), how would I set it up for other measurement tests and with which terminals?

Really appreciate the help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Turn it to ohms range - for continuity the lowest one (200)
Not sure how many mA this delivers - the proper testers deliver 200mA iirc for the duration of the test so although you will get an indication of continuity it may not be as accurate as a bespoke type. The proper ones read to 0.01 ohms too.
For checking for shorts the highest range is most appropriate however as I said above this tester will not suffice to do the job of insulation resistance testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back