multimeter tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I want to carry out a continuity test on a air pressure switch of a boiler. The connector of the above APS is flat and connects up to thin pins. Are the probes of a standard multimeter too thick to fit in that white flat connector ( sorry but i do not know the technical name of that connector) or should i buy something with thinner tips to fit into it?( provide such a thing does exist)!! Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
I usually wrap resistor leads around the legs (or zero ohm links if I want them to be longer).

You can get 2mm sockets & solder thinner wire onto them to make adapters, you can get some more probes and file/grind them down thin.

Can't you get into the back of the connector? they are usually big enough to probe the back... (oooo eeerrr:D )

I usually wrap resistor leads around the legs (or zero ohm links if I want them to be longer).

You can get 2mm sockets & solder thinner wire onto them to make adapters, you can get some more probes and file/grind them down thin.

Can't you get into the back of the connector? they are usually big enough to probe the back... (oooo eeerrr:D )
Thank you mattylad for your valuable advice. I suppose i can get zero ohm leads from any decent electrical shops!!??

General Series 38 (Revised May 1991)
7 Unsuitable test Probes, leads, amps. voltage indicators and multimeters have commonly been responsible for arc initiation due to:
It goes on and shows a picture with fuses, barriers and a max point of 2 mm on test probe.
I keep two sets of leads with my meter one for extra low voltage work and the GS 38 leads for mains work. I also do not use multi meters with amp ranges using leads. I use a clamp on meter so it is impossible to cause the arc initiation which can cause ionisation of the atmosphere which if initiated can have an explosive force.
I would not alter my GS 38 leads.
Eric

Sponsored Links
General Series 38 (Revised May 1991)
7 Unsuitable test Probes, leads, amps. voltage indicators and multimeters have commonly been responsible for arc initiation due to:
It goes on and shows a picture with fuses, barriers and a max point of 2 mm on test probe.
I keep two sets of leads with my meter one for extra low voltage work and the GS 38 leads for mains work. I also do not use multi meters with amp ranges using leads. I use a clamp on meter so it is impossible to cause the arc initiation which can cause ionisation of the atmosphere which if initiated can have an explosive force.
Eric
Hi Eric and thank you.
So, what sort of probes shall i use to do what i mentioned in my post? and where can i buy them? Thank you.

most electrical suppliers will be able to sell you replacement probs that you can if needed file down to suit your need.

for the resistor leads etc, I'm only talking about resistance tests, not anything with live mains involved.

Eric

I also have a few sets of leads.
For measuring resistance on an isolated circuit I find the normal supplied fluke leads better than messing about with GS38 leads which normally play havoc with ohm range readings owing to the additional resistance of the fuses.
I have always wondered with the likes of flukes if you are using their meters with their leads, is it any less safe than using GS38 leads (bar the exposed tips)? I have a couple of adaptors which fit to the end of standard fluke leads which take them down to a very sharp pin, usefull for awkward places and spiking.
Clamp meters may be fine and well for some work, but when you're measuring 4-20mA we'd have a problem :LOL:

Eric

I also have a few sets of leads.
For measuring resistance on an isolated circuit I find the normal supplied fluke leads better than messing about with GS38 leads which normally play havoc with ohm range readings owing to the additional resistance of the fuses.
I have always wondered with the likes of flukes if you are using their meters with their leads, is it any less safe than using GS38 leads (bar the exposed tips)? I have a couple of adaptors which fit to the end of standard fluke leads which take them down to a very sharp pin, usefull for awkward places and spiking.
Clamp meters may be fine and well for some work, but when you're measuring 4-20mA we'd have a problem :LOL:
thank you all very much 4 your time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back