Testing Unidentified Cables in Light Fitting

Sponsored Links
But did not say that both earths had been tested BAS :)

So what do I do if I can't get a reading for this wire?
You're bound to:

It must be connected to the washer, thread and hook/ring on the other side - because it is.

upload_2019-4-29_21-57-25.png

Is the cup metal. If it is; is it painted? scratch off a bit of paint.

The green/yellow might not have a reading to the yellow thread wire, depending on the chain.

Sponsored Links
If there is a 3rd wire coming from the centre (up the plastic tube) then try and test to see if it has a connection to the main body of the frame, the bit at the bottom of the chain.
If it does then that is the earth for that part.
You may have to scratch the lacquer in an unseen position.

It is important to identify what this wire actually does before connecting it up.

But did not say that both earths had been tested BAS :)
I don't know what you have invented as a thing which you call "testing", but given that he described getting and not getting beeps when testing for continuity between each of the 3 conductors in the flex and:

The centre contacts of the lamp holders
The outside contacts of the lamp holders

and for continuity between the earth fire in the cup and each lamp holder contact and for continuity between the yellow conductor in the flex and the body of the light and said "
"wire in cup showed no readings or beeps no matter what I did", where do you think he missed testing between the yellow conductor in the flex and the earth wire in the cup?

FFS BAS!
Do you always have to make an arsehole of yourself?
How about "he described getting and not getting beeps when testing" being that thing I called testing?

Having not said that he tested between both earth wires I am wanting to confirm it, IS THAT A PROBLEM FOR YOU?

Ass!

NO its a problem for you to always be bitching about things,!
You are always the person to respond when people dont actually say something and others assume the little they said includes what they did not say.

Now go back and re read what the Op said and what I asked - I simply asked questions to confirm what the Op said so advise can be given.
Have you actually given any good advice recently? All I ever see you doing is being an ass.

Foam away, matty - I'm not going to join in and allow you to derail the topic even further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back