Multimeters

As you say quite a good spec and at £25 not really ultra cheap so should be OK.

However any meter is selected to do a job and without knowing the job you want to do with the meter one can't really say if it's a good selection.
Indeed not.

Does he need to test/measure capacitors, transistors, diodes? Does he need to measure frequency or temperature?

If not all those features are ones on which the maker of this £35 meter has spent money to the detriment of features he does need.

I have never used the transistor tester on a multi-meter and personally I have selected meters with no hard wired amp range I use a clamp-on for amps.
You can't get multimeters without a current function, and none of them can measure the currents in a domestic electrical installation, nor should anyone contemplate such a thing even if they did.

Sponsored Links
As you say quite a good spec and at £25 not really ultra cheap so should be OK.

However any meter is selected to do a job and without knowing the job you want to do with the meter one can't really say if it's a good selection.
Indeed not.

Does he need to test/measure capacitors, transistors, diodes? Does he need to measure frequency or temperature?

If not all those features are ones on which the maker of this £35 meter has spent money to the detriment of features he does need.

We don't know. Instead of going on one of your arrogant tirades, why not wait until he tells us?

As to the meter he's looking at, having seen quite a few examples of its failures, it's not really suitable for any task.

You can't get multimeters without a current function, and none of them can measure the currents in a domestic electrical installation, nor should anyone contemplate such a thing even if they did.

Current clamp meters rarely have the ability to directly measure current, and can be used to measure currents in domestic installations (with appropriate adapters) safely. Many meters can also manage current testing at 240VAC directly in a safe manner, but it's unwise unless it's a good quality unit.

Thank you all very much for your responses

yes i do need it to measure capacitors, transistors, diodes,frequency and temperature. The reason i picked out the VC99 is because it (
according to the spec sheet) measures the greatest range of the capacitance,voltage etc and is within my price range.

It may be fine.

My instinct though is that at that price it will be so carp as to be worse than nothing - I hope the measurements and testing you are doing are not important.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much for your responses

yes i do need it to measure capacitors, transistors, diodes,frequency and temperature. The reason i picked out the VC99 is because it (
according to the spec sheet) measures the greatest range of the capacitance,voltage etc and is within my price range.

Look elsewhere. See the video review I posted earlier.

You still haven't said exactly what you need it for, though.

Just as a tip, you do not need a transistor mode on a multimeter. It's easy to measure the hFE with a very simple circuit. This alone opens up your choice of meter substantially. As for temperature, seriously consider getting a seperate meter for that, as again, it will increase your choices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back