what multimeter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've recently had some battery problems..well thats what I'm believing it to be..anyway..looking for a multimeter for checking the battery and what should I look out to buy? I've done searches on the web and found how to use a multimeter but nothing generally on what to get on it.. fluke seem to be expensive and gunson cheaper.. both seem to do the same job to me, so why the price difference?

Also I did buy one from argos but with poor instructions and I was afraid I'd break it, so I took it back. Reason behind this was the multimeter had a limit of 20A and the leisure battery I've got to test is 50A ..ok, by now I know you realise I probably know very little about electrics..so any insight into all this would be very useful. I think the battery is still 12V.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Batteries have to be tested under load. You'll simply blow up your meter if you connect across it (testing amperage).

You can test the voltage but that won't tell you anything about the charge the battery holds.

Take the car for a free battery test at a battery dealers.

joe

Thanks Joe for your reply and I thought something like that would have happened. However its a camper van, and I've just recently brought another car..insured that one, so this one isn't insured anymore. Is it me, or do these things always happen at the best of times!?!?

So anyother way I could test this to see whats wrong?

And could you recommend me a half decent multimeter?

Sponsored Links
I have a similar piece of kit, it will tell you the state of charge and if the alternater is charging correctly, but it will not tell if your battery is Kn**kered, for this you need to go and get the battery tested as stated by Joe-90.
regards johnwr

Ok. I've tried to undo the battery from the compartment its in. But its not bolted in with anything I can see and doesn't appear to have anything holding it in place. But seems fixed, or perhaps just its bloody heavy. Well when its out, ill get it over to a battery testers.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

The battery may be fastened at the bottom, also when you take the battery for a test it needs to be fully charged.
johnwr

Back