Very frustrating doorbell problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any electronics experts out there.

I purchased a friedland chime 6 months ago pretty expensive should work up to 200 metres. Unfortunately it is totally unreliable. Sometimes it just does not work at all. However if I take off the bell push remove the battery and leave it a bit then put the battery back in it invariable will work. I then put the bell push back on and by the next day it has stopped working again.

Definetely not the Battery as I have changed twice and multimeter reads about 3.2 volts (3v battery). The chime plugs into the mains so not problem there. The chimne is only 10' from the push and doors are made of wood.

Can I test this anyway. Has anyone had a similar problem. Any help greatfully received as I am now lost.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the mains supply when the chime is not working.

Seems obvious but having seen a door bell transformer mains supply taken from across the red and black in the convenient hall light switch anything is possible. Worked in the day but not when the light was on or the bulb was blown.

That DIYer thought Red was always Live and Black always Neutral....

But if they are only 10 feet apart buy 15 feet of bell wire and be certain

...if I take off the bell push remove the battery and leave it a bit then put the battery back in it invariable will work.
You might have a bad connection in there. Have you tried gently teasing, prodding and pulling the connectors out a bit so that the battery is held more securely?

Sponsored Links
I have a 200m byron which causes problems too. Can't get anywhere near 200m. In fact it is only reliable with the receiver in the hall. Even then I have to replace the batteries quite frequently.

The problem often is that when I test it, it works but when that all important courier delivery driver rings the bell..... However, when testing I leave the front door open to press the button. I think in my case the metal in the upvc door reduces the signal. Opening the door lets the signal in.

Don't know if that helps you.

Any help greatfully received as I am now lost.

wheelie_bins.jpg

its radio, they are unreliable. end of story

I purchased a friedland chime 6 months ago pretty expensive should work up to 200 metres. Unfortunately it is totally unreliable. Sometimes it just does not work at all. However if I take off the bell push remove the battery and leave it a bit then put the battery back in it invariable will work. I then put the bell push back on and by the next day it has stopped working again.
Yes I has this similar problem, email them (very helpful) with the details of model etc http://www.friedland.co.uk/contact/consumer.htm

They sorted my problem out and never has any problem so far, even the portable bell works in the summerhouse at the bottom of my garden. I hard wired from the doorbell into the hall for the sender unit and everything else is wireless. Had mine over 3yrs now and it's still fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back