Single Doorbell Push to Two Battery Chimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a problem with trying to get two battery operated (4x C batteries) door chimes to work from one bell push.

I need one chime at the front door and the other about 8 to 10 or so meters away in the garage. The cable running to the garage is unused telephone wire that I connected up.

Tried wiring in parallel, only the chime at the front door works, the one in the garage does nothing. I tested the cable in the garage with a multi-meter and it seems ok.

Could it be due to the distance or a transformer needed at a point?

Wireless is useless been there tried it and am not spending a fortune on Grothe.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

dave

Sponsored Links
Why not put two pushes adjacent with a note to press both?

If the chime in the garage did work and that was the solution I'd do it but the chime in the garage does not work(as said before tested cable and it's fine) and I can't get both to work at the same time.

If you connect just the garage one to the bell-push (i.e. disconnect the front door one), does it then work?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
you need to rig it so that one battery set is driving both the ding dong bits. I might draw a diagram, but someone will beat me to it I am sure :D

you need to rig it so that one battery set is driving both the ding dong bits. I might draw a diagram, but someone will beat me to it I am sure :D
It might be possible to get it to work with both battery sets, if the polarities are the same (hence the preliminary question I just asked)

Kind Regards, John

lower volt bell in the shed
or doorbell push operates 2 relays with bells remotely powered

Hi, I've got a problem with trying to get two battery operated (4x C batteries) door chimes to work from one bell push.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

dave

(4x C batteries) you wont' need a relay.

You just need the nearest one to the door to power the diresctly on to the bell (dind dong bit ) of the furthest bell set. You can bypass the batteries in this one.
Seriesing up the batteries is a waste of time.

is it a simple bell, or is it an electronic sounder that plays a merry tune?

you need to parallel up the 2nd chime across the first, if it's a Friedland Facet or similar here is how it's done. No batteries in the second chime.
Indeed. Or, if the OP happened to have a couple of suitable diodes to hand, he could keep batteries in both (even if they were very different and/or had different battery voltages) and simply parallel up the bell-push connections (with one diode in each, and taking care to get the polarities right).

Kind Regards, John.

Firstly thanks for all the quick replies. Very useful info.

Especially to OwainDIYer for the diagram.

So here's the latest.

The chime units are the same as those in the diagram but CED branded.

Wired up to the same as the diagram and it works, both chimes sound when they are tested fairly close to each other approx 4m meters apart.

But now the problem is when the secondary chime without batteries is put into the garage, there doesn't seem to be enough power to work the chime, you can visibly see the mechanism move just a little but it looks like it doesn't have enough power to strick the chimes to make them sound. Probably due to some sort of voltage drop over the distance of the cable from front door to the garage.

I also tried putting the batteries into the secondary garage chime to see if that would give the power thats needed but it didn't and result was the same.

Any more ideas ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back