Multiple Flashing/Flickering Lights Downstairs (video)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We've just had the whole house rewired but have an issue with several of our downstairs lights flashing/flickering intermittently. Video here.

The electrician will be coming back, but he's not local so he won't be here for a couple of weeks, so trying to diagnose (and understand if I should be concerned) in the meantime.

Things I've deduced so far:
  • It happens rather intermittently, but at least once per day. Sometimes it's just for 10 seconds, other days it's several minutes!
  • It only affects the downstairs lighting circuit.
  • Not all lights on the circuit are affected. Not all lights on dimmers switches are affected.
  • Four sets of lights are affected (1 single pendant, 1 pendant light with four bulbs, 2 sets of 2 wall lights). All lights affected are on dimmer switches (with dimmable LED bulbs).
  • Generally all four sets of lights flash/flicker at the same time. (ie, four hours can pass with no lights flickering, but then they will all flicker at once for the same duration).
I think that's about it. The electrician suggested it might be caused incompatibility of bulbs and switches. If this were true, does the symptom of the affected lights all flashing at once make sense?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

James

Sponsored Links
Much more likely he forgot to tighten a terminal screw somewhere.

He might not want to admit such a schoolboy error.

You could lightly tap the ceiling roses and the CU lighting breaker with your knuckle to see if you can find it.

I did found a landing light in mothers house after a rewire with a loose wire, easy done. I assume no smart lights, as most flash until one has linked them to the wifi or bluetooth.

Sponsored Links
Much more likely he forgot to tighten a terminal screw somewhere.

He might not want to admit such a schoolboy error.

You could lightly tap the ceiling roses and the CU lighting breaker with your knuckle to see if you can find it.
Yes. If they all flash at the same time then it indicates a central issue.
A common problem is that the live busbar in the consumer unit is not properly located into the bottom of the lighting breaker. You’d be playing with mains electricity if you put your fingers in there, so take care.
Use an insulated screwdriver to tap the breaker and see if the lights flicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back