multiple monitor question, need info please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi on my current PC arrangement I have two monitors (DELL 2005FPW). They are connected to the two svga outputs on my pc so that I can use each monitor with separate windows open, ie I am not duplicating on the monitors but opening say for example Word or emails on one and IE on the other. I would like to continue to do this but I am thinking of upgrading my PC to something newer, trouble is most PC's seem to come with only one output, I was lucky the first time.

These monitor which I want to keep using have a connection which is labeled DVI-D . I think this connection can give me a better quality picture, but I never DVI on my PC. I have heard of DVI but what is DVI-D?

Some of the new PC's I see offer a single HDMI connection. One seems to have 1x HDMI and it also says it has 1x DVI-I(includ. adaptor D-sub VGA), what on earth does that mean?

Anyway basically can anyone tell me if I can have my current two monitors and use them the way I do now with a new PC that has these sort of connection eg. 1x HDMI cable?

ie is there a splitter cable that will go from one port to two monitors and is there software that will then let them work like this?

I am thinking that things are clever enough now to have the two monitors driven from one port.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is unusual to find multiple SVGA outputs on PC's.

Info in DVI-I/DVI-D can be found at here

The Wikipedia page says

"DVI-I" stands for "DVI-Integrated" and supports both digital and analog transfers, so it works with both digital and analog monitors. "DVI-D" stands for "DVI-Digital" and supports digital transfers only.

Basically the DVI-I is the output from the PC that can go to a DVI-D input on the Monitor or via a VGA adapter to a VGA port.

Some of the new PC's I see offer a single HDMI connection. One seems to have 1x HDMI and it also says it has 1x DVI-I(includ. adaptor D-sub VGA), what on earth does that mean?

HDMI is a High Def connection to a High def TV. The Adaptor is to convert the DVI-I signal to a VGA output. (Only works with DVI-I not DVI-D)

I am thinking that things are clever enough now to have the two monitors driven from one port.

Unfortunately not. You would be better getting a machine that has a separate video card, not an integrated one. Then get a Dual head (Has 2 outputs) Video Card probably PCI express. Depending on what performance you require i.e. games, graphics or normal email/office/internet will determine the price.

A quick search of Dabs finds this 256Mb Dual DVI-I card for £21.59

Hi

I installed four monitors for someone using just XP software on a new HP machine - she used it to extend her desktop. The space on screen was great!

It can be tricky though. I had to installed a dual DVI / VGA PCI-Express card to drive two monitors (one d-sub and one DVI). Cheapish at about £25

Then i had to re-enable the onboard graphics (usually a d-sub) as the insertion of the PCI-E card normally deactivates it.

I then bought a USB VGA card for the fourth monitor. Cost about £40.

It can be done but don't expect the graphics to be great on all monitors. It will be good enough!

Not all PCs allow use of the PCI-E and onboard bios though.

This set-up will allow you to use your current monitors and could have more.

You can also buy a quad port card although that'll knock you back about £300 - £400 :eek:

Hope this helps

Chris

Sponsored Links
Back