Multiple power sockets or extension strip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The builders start next week on our cellar conversion, so lots of things to think about.

The cellar will be used as a 'home cinema' and as such will contain a lot of AV kit, which will all be housed in a cool cupboard. At the moment, the total of power sockets I need in the cupboard is 8!

The question is, am I best having 8 sockets in the cupboard, or just a couple and have a surge protected, conditioning extension strip?

Sponsored Links
Hi superdon.

Is it this project you refer to? Did you speak to the LABC for planning info in the end?

What sort of power is the cinema system going to be demanding? It may be better to run a 20A radial with the appropriate number of sockets instead of using four way adaptors. Bear in mind that a new circuit from your CU will be notifiable to the LABC.

Sponsored Links
Yes, spoke with the building regs people at the council. All sorted. I just had to add in some mains smoke alarms to the house and its all sorted.

As for power requirement. Off the top of my head, I dont know. Its a AV reciever, a media PC, a PS3, a electric projector screen, a Harmon remote charger, a wireless router, and acouple of other very low powered bits of kit.

As for power requirement. Off the top of my head, I dont know. Its a AV reciever, a media PC, a PS3, a electric projector screen, a Harmon remote charger, a wireless router, and acouple of other very low powered bits of kit.
Doesn't sound like you'll require much power then. Up to you which method you go with. Make sure there are enough sockets in the room though for whatever general use you will require.

so no need (safety wise) for actual sockets?

Nope. Extension leads/strips/blocks wouldn't be sold if they were unsafe. However, seen as you have the chance, it would make sense to install the number of sockets you need and do the job properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back