Multiple switched-live for extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered previously but I didn't find anything when I searched.

Is it possible to have two separate lights connected to the switched-live for an extractor fan?
The reason is I'm thinking of renovating my downstairs WC and utility room and to the best of my understanding I'll need to fit an extractor fan for both. So I was thinking of fitting a single inline fan with a Y connector for the internal intakes in each space going to just a single external vent. I'd like this to operate whether either switch in the WC or utility room was turned on. Is this a problem?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
use dual pole switches for the other pole to activate the fan.

Make sure both rooms are on the same light circuit.

And fit 3 pole isolator by fan

The reason is I'm thinking of renovating my downstairs WC and utility room and to the best of my understanding I'll need to fit an extractor fan for both. So I was thinking of fitting a single inline fan with a Y connector for the internal intakes in each space going to just a single external vent.
The electrical issue is fairly straightforward. However, given that it's extremely unlikely that both rooms will be equally well 'internally ventilated' (gaps under doors etc.), or similar in volume, I suspect you'll find that (unless it is a very powerful fan) the fan will primarily suck air out of one of the rooms, and not much out of the other!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes it's a good point.

They struggle to extract from one room.
Asking it to extract from two rooms is unlikely to be successful.

Yes it's a good point. They struggle to extract from one room. Asking it to extract from two rooms is unlikely to be successful.
Indeed - and, as I said, asking it to extract from two rooms in anything like a 'balanced' fashion even less likely to be successful.

Kind Regards, John

I had thought about that, was thinking that I could use adjustable inlets to try to balance the flow like these: http://-/acatalog/Air_Valve.html#aGRILLES_20VALVE It's all still in the rough planning stages, cheers for all advice.
I think all I can do is wish you good luck!

Would it be all that difficult (or necessarily all that much more expensive) to have two different fans (with appropriate fans, you could probably combine the outlets with a Y-thingy if you wanted to have just a single outlet to the outside world)?

Kind Regards, John

I think all I can do is wish you good luck!

Would it be all that difficult (or necessarily all that much more expensive) to have two different fans (with appropriate fans, you could probably combine the outlets with a Y-thingy if you wanted to have just a single outlet to the outside world)?

Kind Regards, John
:D

I was thinking that if I had 2 fans into one outlet that I might have the extract of the running fan leaking into the other room but a couple of simple 1-way flaps would stop that.

Your way will probably be a much more sensible option. Thanks.

I was thinking that if I had 2 fans into one outlet that I might have the extract of the running fan leaking into the other room but a couple of simple 1-way flaps would stop that. Your way will probably be a much more sensible option. Thanks.
You're welcome. As you say, one can get 1-way flaps/'valves' to enable to fans to share a common outlet path without there being much, if any, room-to-room leakage.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back