Multizone Heating Controller selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a new heating system and need some advice (please) on the selection of heating controller and equipment.

I want to create 3 separate zones in the house 1 bedrooms/ 2 living area / 3 hot water, all with the ability to be controlled separately from a cental point.

I've looked at Honeywell CM Zone system but this seems a little too elaborate & I've got 15 rads (so expensive too). I'm really looking for a more traditional system (ie no wireless stuff), with motorised valves and a central controller - has anyone got any ideas.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Horstmann Channel Plus XL37 or XL47.

Very good programmers for 3 or 4 zones.

Have a look at the Horstmann Channel Plus XL37 or XL47.

Very good programmers for 3 or 4 zones.
These only control the times in each zone. You would still need a separate thermostat in each zone, so this would not provide complete control from one point.

Unless your house has a total floor area greater than 150m², there is no obligation to have separate heating zones. Why complicate things when TRVs on the bedroom rads will do all that is necessary?

From his post I gave the OP the answer he wanted. He didn't mention programable stats, just being able to control the zones from a central location.

I think even the OP realises that he needs a seperate stat in each zone

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much
- the Horstmann ChannelPlus H37 XL looks good. Forgot to say - am going to fit TRVs. Also house is above 150 sq mt, but also no gas and so having to use v expensive oil, hence need for different programs for living and beds.

Don't forget though that each zone will need a room stat in a room where the radiator does not have a trv on it.

bit of a bitch. i' suggest you were moving out of the format of electro mechinical wire by numbers

bit of a b@tch. i' suggest you were moving out of the format of electro mechinical wire by numbers

If you are starting from scratch you could plumb every rad back to a manifold using Hep, Speedfit or Poly.

A cheap thermal zone actuator fitted to each circuit then gives flexibility.

Depending on the number of programmable stats you fit gives you the zones.

We do this on new builds sometimes, mainly because it gives a jointless pipe distribution in areas where further access would be impossible.

However, if I were on oil (I am) and it it were my money I would put in Honeywell hometronic BMS. It is CM Zone for grown ups, gives you 16 heating zones. I have it in my house, we have 4 installs going on of it this month alone.

With oil at over 60p per litre, frankly you can afford a decent energy management system :eek:

Simon

Thanks for your reply - wasn't aware that building heating control systems had made it onto the domestic market, but it gives some food for thought.

Before exploring any further have you a ball park figure for cost (of controller, sensors etc - I would have 12 rooms / zones +HW to cover. Also are there any cheaper wired solutions? Can't seem to find much info with regard to price on the net.

Many Thanks

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back