Murky hot water question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Refilled hot water cylinder 2 hours ago after a drain down. Water is hot now, but still a dirty colour at the taps. How long does it take for all the disturbed sediment to settle down, and the water to become clear?

Sponsored Links
How can that be? I treat the cylinder with kid gloves while stripping cylinder unions down..

Straw and camel’s back?
Don’t get too upset, nothing proven yet, just don’t see how else it could stay murky so long. All you find normally in a cylinder is disgusting gooey limescale, and that does not float a lot.
Have a look in the water tank, as opposed to f/e tank, and see if that is clean.

Sponsored Links
I think I'm afraid you might be right on this ben. I just drew off some central heating water from the the air vent that is attached to 22mm CH pipe, before it goes in to the coil. Got half a cup out to have a look at the color of it, and its pretty much same colour as the DHW.

Damn.. took me a day and a half to install new coffin tank in loft, new shower pump and the nest of pipes that go with it. And then this occurs....

I've got 2 weeks to get bathroom completed before missus gets back.

Iv'e got this dreaded feeling that the cylinder is gonna have to be replaced.

put me out of my misery... :cry:

Are the water levels the same in the header tank as the storage tank. I it maybe something to do with the way the shower pump is connected :rolleyes:

Lots more info please.

Thanks for replies guys..

I did check for CH water in the CWST and that is a no.

There is approx 100mm difference in head between the CWS and the F&E levels.

The shower pump is not running yet, so all feeds to it are closed down with 22mm lever ball valves.

The cylinder vent pipe is warm to around 2 feet above the top of the cylinder.

Old immersion heater in place but doesn't work, not wired up i found out.

If it turns out it needs replacing, what are the chances of me getting an exact copy of the cylinder, bearing in mind it's about 30 years old. says "G.S.Smith (Hull) on the side of it. And has 1" male threads for 22mm cold feed at bottom, and 1" male on top with warix flange fitted.
Primiary? coil flow and return pipes are 1" male also.

Has what looks like a thermostat (small gray box) strapped to front of cylinder with a flex from it disappearing under floor boards.

I'll try and get some piccies up if I can get hold of a camera battery.

What's likely cost of a pro doing a straight swap?

If you need any more info let me know..

If the coil had gone the higher tank will displace its water into the lower one so the ballvalve will be running constantly in the higher tank.

If the cylinder is 30 year old the scale will take a while to settle, I would wait till morning and see if there's any improvement.

If the coil had gone the higher tank will displace its water into the lower one so the ballvalve will be running constantly in the higher tank.

If the cylinder is 30 year old the scale will take a while to settle, I would wait till morning and see if there's any improvement.

I see what your saying doitall.

Good advice, "wait till morning and see if there's any improvement"
Gonna go and get me head down mate I'm shattered..

Cheers

Well I had another look this morning after giving the sink a good scrub with the old cillit bang, and there's certainley a marked improvement. Probably all the grime on the sink making the water look dirty :oops:

I've turned heating on, so will check in an hour against a sample glass I have on window sill.

I take it if on the next check, that the water has turned murky again. Then that would/could mean that CH water is being forced out of a small hole in the primary coil and into the clean DHW? Which can only mean one thing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back