Musty smell in old books and furniture

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have been given some stuff from an old person. It has a strong musty smell. I have left it to air but it has not improved

Any tips in cleaning this up? I have wiped and hoovered the furniture, but the smell is quite strong inside cupboards, and especially the books.

Sponsored Links
Onions, cut in half, are very good for absorbing smells in enclosed spaces: it works. And in case anyone quibbles about the smell of onions, it's far better than the smell of air freshener.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the books, apart from giving them a good airing. I use Backus book cloth cleaner to clean clothbound books that are grubby. If the smell is coming from pages that are foxing badly, there's little that can be done economically.

Sponsored Links
Haven`t got vol 2 of The Book of Days, have you ? I got vol. one on it`s own. c1860 would like it to go to a good home ;)

.... If the smell is coming from pages that are foxing badly, there's little that can be done economically.
Thnaks, I looked up Backus and some other book-restorers treatments

from what you say about Foxing (brown blotches on paper?) the ones I looked at did not have it. Is it a fungus attack or what? Storage room is dry and indoors with trickle ventilation.

After sniffing around, I think the smell probably is coming from the books rather than the furniture. I opened a cupboard in the bookcase and it was very bad.

Foxing of paper is the result of fungal activity, but there is much uncertainty as to its exact causes. I'm sure damp conditions are bound to favour its development, but it has much to do with the quality of the paper used in producing a book, as it is very common to find that the majority of copies of a particular volume are affected, although they have been stored separately in many different locations.

There is a reference here which gives some information. I suggest that if the smell is offensive and the books not worth much, it may be best to get rid of them.

www.abebooks.co.uk is an excellent resource for checking approximate values of books; you have to know a little about what you're doing in order to value books properly, but it should give some idea if what you have is a priceless collection of rarities or a pile of junk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back