MX Duo LXi Electric Shower leaks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
How should I go about finding out what is wrong with my electrical shower unit? It is fine when not in use, and when the power is switched on, but as soon as I turn the dial to select my shower setting a steady trickle of water starts to dribble out of the bottom of the plastic casing. Does any one know what to look out for? I am thinking that, as I will need to turn the water off as well as the power, in order to take it apart, I won't actually see which bit it is that is leaking.
Any insights or advice as to how to fix it would be most gratefully received, I'm getting tired of speed-showering ;) !
Kind regards,
Linnea

Sponsored Links
You'll need to remove the front cover and run the shower.
Just run it on the cold setting (top dial).

Check the bottom of the heat can could be the prd faulty.

Give us a pic of where the leak is.

That was really helpful. I am so pleased you took the time to advise me, it is very encouraging. I did as you said and took off the front cover and ran the shower. I have created a new album with photos of what I discovered :) It was clear straight away that the water is spraying from behind the 'dial' at the top, I suppose this is the on-switch really (the bottom one being the one which regulates the temperature). I think I have managed to capture this fairly well in the photos. There is a clear plastic disc or something like that encasing the back of this dial, it appears, and it looks as if the water is spraying from either very cracks in this or perhaps in a gap between the plastic and the rest of the dial. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thank you, that is very helpful. Is it something I could realistically fit on my own, having never tinkered about with anything like a shower unit before? I'm pretty undaunted, but recognise when I'm out of my depth too... What's the difficulty rating, would you say?

Doddle to fit only 1 connection below valve and the wiring.
Take note of the connections or change them 1 for 1 you can't go wrong.

About 30 mins start to finish may take you abit longer but that gives you an idea how easy it is.

Make sure you isolate the water/elecy first.
;)

I've just come back from being away, or I would have responded sooner. This is just what I want to hear, what a relief! I love this site and the fact that people like you are sharing your expertise so generously, making light and easy work of what would otherwise be such a knicker-twisty pickle for me! Thank you again, and I will be sure to let you know how I get on, once I've got the part and found a moment of peace and quiet to get my hands on it... Oh, one more thing, when you mention isolating the water and electricity, can I just check that this means that I simply need to trip the switch on the meter and to turn the water stop cock (the one in the house has seized up, in fact, I posted about this some years ago, so I now use the one on my drive -does that sound right?) to off. I don't want to assume anything. Can I fit the part with the shower unit still mounted on the wall, connected to the waterpipe, or must I take the unit down? That should do it for questions, I think ;)

Oh, one more thing, when you mention isolating the water and electricity, can I just check that this means that I simply need to trip the switch on the meter and to turn the water stop cock (the one in the house has seized up, in fact, I posted about this some years ago, so I now use the one on my drive -does that sound right?) to off. I don't want to assume anything. Can I fit the part with the shower unit still mounted on the wall, connected to the waterpipe, or must I take the unit down? That should do it for questions, I think ;)

Yes that's ok shower off, main pullcord off and fuse off/pulled.
Main stopcock off.
Yes you can fit this with shower in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back