MX5 lower wishbone bushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone on here changed the rear lower wishbone bushes on a MK2.5 MX5? Doesn't look too hard to get it out but I assume I will need to mark the position of what looks like eccentric bushes. I'm guessing they will need pressing in too.

Sponsored Links
The bushes aren't eccentric mate, its the bolts that have an adjusting cam on them, and yes, do mark their positions with a scriber and/or a blob of paint.
If I remember the job - a good while back - the adjustment cams are on the inside of the wishbone. This car was a 1.6 on a 'J' plate.
You may want to consider Polybush replacements......I don't know if they are any better than original but they are easier to fit!
Hope the job goes well - I'm surprised at the spring failure rate on these - I had one vehicle in with all 4 gone. A smart vehicle, but not so easy to get into!
John :)

Yes sorry I meant they were eccentric by the way of the cam plates on the bolts. Same ones as my BMW by the looks of them.

I'm wary of putting poly on it, mainly because I only want to do one side and also it's a friends car, she is a girl and won't appreciate the likely harsher poly bush.

First thing I checked was the springs as thats what it sounded like when I first heard the noise. This car has only done 18K miles BTW, I'm a bit surprised the bushes have gone.

Best go for the genuine Mazda item then - but for the life of me I can't think why its failed so soon.
I don't know much about these cars really - done timing belts, springs etc and thats about it.....although the handbrake was chronic on the early ones due to a poorly designed rear caliper.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Well it's an 05 plate so I can only assume long periods of inactivity until she bought it and now uses it daily have meant the bushes are no longer happy. I fully expect the other side to go this summer :LOL:

I know all about the early handbrakes having owned a MK1 :LOL:

She has decided to do me a favour and take it to a garage we often use for them to do it, at least they can laser align it afterwards.

Great little cars. I have a 2.5 which, now the clutch is replaced, is a joy to be in !

Back