My ACS Assessment due!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Lovely.

In 3 weeks from now, has anyone here done it recently? I hear it's a more intensive 2 day practical and written as opposed to the 3 day i did 5 years ago?

Any little tips/pitfalls you've faced chaps greatly appreciated (if you dare).

Bring it on.

Sponsored Links
No probs. Done my re-assesment 18 months ago amid all the hype about how bad it was etc. I found nothing different, no hassles, only it was over quicker ;)

i did mine 3 weeks ago.

its not as bad as i remembered it really.

the written stuff barely takes a morning.

the longest individual part is the re-establishing a gas supply bit. they give you 2.5 hrs for that. :LOL:

the controls are almost the same. no bi-metal strip this time though.

flue and vent is easy.

Done mine in March. Stressed out for nowt. Get to pay the dogs for another 5 years.

Sponsored Links
I dont do many WAUs where i'am and remember last time sailing through then last task was WA got asked what would happen if the positive return flexible pipe had a hole in it? Nearly lost it, eventually got the answer though. OVERHEAT!!

I do know of someone who on re-establish didnt open cooker lid on TT, left his gauge on meter when purging and failed to spot an extra coal on the fire practical. He works for BT now.

You may want to gen up on medium pressure T.T and spend 10 mins in the training room before assesment. Not much call for in in the middle of London though :)

Should only take you a day for the lot - all straigtforward.

Make sure you have plenty of cold beer in the fridge to celebrate afterwards :LOL:

Gasguru said:
You may want to gen up on medium pressure T.T and spend 10 mins in the training room before assesment. Not much call for in in the middle of London though :)

Should only take you a day for the lot - all straigtforward.

Yes already polishing that one over, it was just new 5 years ago i think, have probably seen 2 since then.

And don't be afraid of telling the assesor when the written mutiple guess questions are ambiguous and wrong... the papers are written and devised by idiots.

In the end my assesor agreed and indicated the "correct" answers for me to circle. :eek:.....just play the game.

Did mine re assessment in december

i got a list of the exam questions.

but here ,s one you will need to get your head round :-

you will need to be able to calculate purge volume of a u16 meter
and the total pipework installation volume.

eg.

U16 METER = 0.025
2 metres of 1 and a quarter mild steel
5 meters of 3 quarters of mild steel
3 meteres of 15mm copper.

U16 METER = 0.025

PIPEWORK SECTIONS A,B,C = 0.0022 + 0.0023 + 0.00042

Calculating fittings allowances:-

PLUS 10% allowance for fittings = 0.0087 x
---- = 0.00087

TOTAL INSTALLATION VOLUME m2 = 0.03457

The medium pressure stuff is getting dropped by some of the examanation boards, only question in mine is how to do let by and check regulator, no practical on it

namsag said:
The medium pressure stuff is getting dropped by some of the examanation boards, only question in mine is how to do let by and check regulator, no practical on it

you're right BPEC dont do it no more they dont

namsag said:
Yeah i know thats why i put it. ;) :LOL:

you said SOME so I thought I would be "billy big bananas" and point out one of em

Precise me

I dont generalise i dont

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back