My biggest shock yet.....Always prove dead!!

I know a guy who was mearuring a voltage with his fluke 75 multimeter, thought he was mearing 12V signal line but not read the "k" that was between the "12" and the "v". Needless to say he was blown a good few feet to the nearest wall and smelt of burnt veg.

Still lived to tell the story, but guess he takes a bit more care now !

Sponsored Links
when i first moved into this house i had a few horrors. been belted many a time prior to it, but not by mains - Mainly from high voltage stuff, but pretty low current....such as neon transformers etc. they tingle, but don't hurt.

First one was my old dishwasher. ever time i touched it i felt a tingle in my arm. After some inspection, i found the plug was wired rather badly...So badly that the earth wasnt connected to earth, but to neutral.

went to change a light fitting on a fake wall. Clicked the breaker off for the lighting ring, and went about it. Shame then, that the light had been wired to the back of the nearest socket.

And lastly....A mains cable which a mouse had been chewing. I could smell this strange smell ( like ozone if you know what that smells like)
i found a BIG peice of cable in a cupboard, along the floor. 6mm twin+earth. without thinking, i leaned down to push the cable to the side ( it was loose in on the floor) and BANG, picked me up slammed me against the wall. burn marks on my hand, and a VERY sore arm for about 2 weeks !

thankfully, it seems that was the last of the wiring horrors, just about every fitting has been inspected or changed since then - be it a socket or a light switch.

I seem to have built up an aversion to being blasted by electricity. I've had too many in my time, mainy DC 400V ones.

So the computer I work on is on one side of the bed, and my partners computer the other side. With a 4-way for power to her compy. Anyways, the plug started buzzing away, to her computer, after it suffered random resets...but I wasn't about to touch the plug. She disconnected the plug, and the terminals were duly tightened up, but a 10A fuse?

Then she decided to do some early bird washing, and the machine had a constant BANG BANG BANG!! So stripped that down, the heat transfer had become detached, and was banging against the drum (again!), and also had a burned out wire (completely seperated) going to the sensors, shorting against the motor, so how it's worked I don't know, but so many exposed electrical terminals...scared!

A few years ago I dug this 4 foot pole or so out of my front garden, didn't realise it was the house earth?

I don't like HT voltage.

i genuinely believe that some people are less susceptible to the effects of an electric shock.

likewise, some people are more susceptible.

Sponsored Links
Well some people are, everyone has difference resistance. However, 230VAC can and will kill anybody if not treated carefully, no matter how many times you've shocked yourself, and how harmless you may think it is.

Don't qoute me on this but iam sure i read somewhere that for electric shock at 240v to kill youhas to go though your chest at just the right moment in your heart beat cycleing. Although get a high enough current and it'll fry ya.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back