My bloody clutch has gone!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hydraulics. On the Golf. Coming home, I noticed the pedal creeping and by the time I got home, I virtually had no pedal left. It’s either the Slave or the Master, can’t really see at the moment. Going to have to get it up to the workshop next week and have a look. I’ll have to call up the AA and get it relayed there. I hope it’s the slave - I don’t think my back could take it if it’s the master!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hydraulics. On the Golf. Coming home, I noticed the pedal creeping and by the time I got home, I virtually had no pedal left. It’s either the Slave or the Master, can’t really see at the moment. Going to have to get it up to the workshop next week and have a look. I’ll have to call up the AA and get it relayed there. I hope it’s the slave - I don’t think my back could take it if it’s the master!

Isn't it a concentric slave, which will mean a major job of splitting gearbox from engine?

is it loosing fluid.. its probably a slave cylinder failure or a broken line..

if its not loosing fluid its probably the clutch master..

you might want to look at the clutch master position on the engine side of the firewall. and have somebody pump the clutch pedal a few times to make sure the firewall has not failed.. that the clutch pedal bracket has not failed.

Sponsored Links
is it loosing fluid.. its probably a slave cylinder failure or a broken line..

if its not loosing fluid its probably the clutch master..

you might want to look at the clutch master position on the engine side of the firewall. and have somebody pump the clutch pedal a few times to make sure the firewall has not failed.. that the clutch pedal bracket has not failed.

You do know that Mottie is quite an accomplished mechanic, don't you?

Come on mottie, i've seen clutches replaced on those motors in 3 hours without breaking a sweat, on a driveway by quite fat and unfit mechanics.
Change the lot.

Isn't it a concentric slave, which will mean a major job of splitting gearbox from engine?
No, it’s not. I was kind of hoping it was because three years ago now, I purchased a complete new clutch kit including a DMF ……and then it got better! I paid exactly £250.02 and I’d like to use it but only if I have to!

Daughters clutch went on her volvo, master cylinder inside gearbox, spewed fluid all over cluth plate etc, why oh why did some loony put it inside the box, on older cars it was fixed to the side of the box, thus making an easy repair...... Dohh

Daughters clutch went on her volvo, master cylinder inside gearbox, spewed fluid all over cluth plate etc, why oh why did some loony put it inside the box, on older cars it was fixed to the side of the box, thus making an easy repair...... Dohh

It's the slave cylinder, between engine and gearbox! They design fit them there, for compactness of layout.

The master cylinder is attached to your clutch pedal.

Ok slave cylinder, but what could and used to be repairable for a couple of bob now means gearbox out and probably a new clutch plate, unless as we used to do boil them to remove any contamination

Sponsored Links
Back