My breast!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Below I have included some pictures of my chimney brest. I removed a course of brickwork, that the previous erected to cover up pipes!

ChimneyB.jpg

Although I was not lucky this time and did not a fireplace underneath it. I was happy to find ledge. Which I have not seen before.

Picture D shows 2 loose bricks, which are being held up by restricted space, rather than mortar! Although I was considering removing that course of bricks. I am now thingking about rendering the front of it. Then once dry, removing the supporting wood, and rendering the underneath and the back of it.

Is this the way to do it?

The internal part of the fireplace needs to be rendered as well and was wondering is this the best option. Not to keen to use MDF, hardboard, as I want to let the walls breath. Whereas I heard that hardboard encourages damp, as the wall cannot breath.

Also I need to block the upper part, and was wondering whats the best option, and whether I will need to install a vent, as I'm trying to avoid the falling dust and draft, onto my wine rack that I will be installing there.

P.S. There were pipes coming out of the red section in Picture B. My friend reckons this is how the old central heating system used to work, when the house was built! Truly amazing!

Sponsored Links
Bazdaa said:
Is this the was to do it?.............

Maybe the was, maybe the wiz. er......wizwas.......um..... wizard?

..................... onto my wine rack that I will be installing there.

Ah,.......the wine, that expalins it.

P.S. There were pipes coming out of the red section in Picture B. My friend reckons this is how the old central heating system used to work, when the house was built! Truly amazing!

Yes, truly amazing.

Read through your original post as if you were not the writer, ie objectively. Does it make sense, or was it intended to be just another rant?

You appear to be saying you have unsupported bricks, held up by a piece of wood. You intend to render over the front, then remove the wood, then stick something else underneath.

If someone else had written this, does it sound logical?

Sponsored Links
Fair point.

I did actually write something twice as long. Only to lose it when trying to post it :( What I have posted here, was a quick jobby, as I didnt have time to go through the whole thing again! Maybe I should have proof read it.

I will edit and make good.

P.S. I have no need to rant here, as its not the electrics forum. Although I was starting to get a bit worried after your post :LOL:

Have you tried newton Newlath,this is specially made for use where ventilation is needed,plasterer can then either render/hardwall/skim a finish on after.......as for pic,cant see a thing so means nothing to me ;) !!!!
SD Carps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back