My builder's plumber - should I be concerned about this?

Get your building inspector around, tell him you have concerns over the structural integrety of the joists due to excessive drilling.

Sponsored Links
OP, take photos of the joists NOW. And send an attached copy to the BCO in charge of your job.

Take photos of everything else you are not happy with too. If you had photos of the screeded pipes, then at least you'd have evidence that any future problems was was caused by the installation (tho' that would only help if the company was still in business.)

However, it may be that the screeded pipes will be perfectly ok. I wouldn't expect much heat transfer unless the CH pipes were running for a good while and the neighbouring pipes 'stationary' for a good while also. Once flowing, any luke-warmness should soon pass.

Are the pipes completely screeded over directly on top of the lagging, or are they in boxed ducts under the screed so's they share the same 'air space'? If the former, then they'll be better insulated from each other, so I wouldn't expect heat-transfer problems.

Thanks for the replies... I have been taking photos sporadically for my own interest anyway, so I will see if there are any there that show any problem areas.
I actually rang the BCO for advice on what to do about pipes and stuff and it sounds like the plumber has laid them in accordance with standard practice i.e. wrapped in felt lagging to protect from screed. He wasn't concerned about their proximity and was happy that the hot water pipes were sufficiently well lagged not to cause any issues anyway. He advised that there aren't any Building Regs relating to running pipes in screed specifically.... so no requirement for them to be removable etc.
I am going to have a look at my photos and see how much they show as the joists are now covered over.....

There ARE regulations about running water supply pipes! They need to be inspectable or removable to inspect.

Water regulations 1999.

There are also regulations about running gas pipes as well.

Gas Safety and Use regulations!

Tony

Sponsored Links
There ARE regulations about running water supply pipes! They need to be inspectable or removable to inspect.

Water regulations 1999.

There are also regulations about running gas pipes as well.

Gas Safety and Use regulations!

Tony

Do you think you could point me to the regulations so that I can wave them at my plumber please? I was only able to find this:- http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/1148/schedule/2/made (Number 7) which doesn't mention the requirement for pipes to be removable, just that they can't be embedded in walls or floors..... so what does one normally do? The BCO was pretty clear that there were no Building Regs covering pipes laid in screed.

They cannot be fitted so that they cannot be inspected. But putting them in a duct so they can be pulled out overcomes that.

The BCO was correct in a blinkered way. Thast if he only meant the Building Regulations!

But he is incorrect to say there were NO other regulations which applied to pipes in screed. They mostly leard just the Building Regs.

Tony

Ok, a picture speaks a thousand words...... what do you think?

He isn't seriously intending to embed felt lagging in a floor screed, is he? Have I misunderstood this?

The felt carp isn't insulation, it should have been banned decades ago. It is sold to people who pull the wool (felt?) over the eyes of customers who don't know what insulation is. Tell the builder you're not happy with it and ask for the product information sheet giving details of the thickness and thermal conductivity and the recommended applications. It is porous and will get saturated with the screed, rendering any thermal insulation values worthless. Remind Mr. Builder that, if it is unsuitable, he funds digging it out and replacing it.

Is there edge insulation around the external perimeter of the the UFH screed? All pipes to be pressure tested prior to laying screed, and kept under pressure during screed laying?

Even in the bad old days we used to lay pipes in a duct and wrap with glass fibre insulation - not hair felt :eek: . Why are some pipes lagged with foam :confused: did they run out of foam lagging. judging by the door lining there is one hell of a thick screed going down ;)

couple of quick observations.

Is the shower tray laid directly onto 18 or 22mm chipboard :eek:

Hairfelt should not be used as ducting for plastic pipework. There is a special conduit for it!

Are those speedfit connections going to be innaccessible? What happens when one of them blows - mind ripping out plasterboard to find the leaky joint? Good luck! Why wasnt soldered copper specified? - did you go with the cheapest quote?

I know its easy to sit and criticise someone elses work, but i think those are genuine points of concern if it was my house.

He isn't seriously intending to embed felt lagging in a floor screed, is he?
Yes. The plastic cold pipes were wrapped in felt lagging and embedded in the screed. The copper pipes supplying radiator were sleeved in felt lagging, dropped onto the oversight then celotex over the top then screeded over, so they poke through the screed in their felt lagging

Is there edge insulation around the external perimeter of the UFH screed? All pipes to be pressure tested prior to laying screed, and kept under pressure during screed laying?
Yes, I insisted it was insulated (they used 25mm Celotex). Yes, system was put up to pressure and kept pressurised during screeding.

Why are some pipes lagged with foam did they run out of foam lagging.
The hot water pipes have been lagged with foam, all the others lagged with felt lagging.
judging by the door lining there is one hell of a thick screed going down
There is another 50mm Celotex to go down there, which covered over the pipes (in that area they are sandwiched between Celotex), then 75mm screed on top.

Is the shower tray laid directly onto 18 or 22mm chipboard
Yes directly onto the floor boards.

Hairfelt should not be used as ducting for plastic pipework. There is a special conduit for it!
That is what the plastic potable water pipes have been laid in and the copper CH pipes under the floor.

Are those speedfit connections going to be innaccessible?
Yes, there are dozens in the floor/ceiling void. They have all been pressure tested and kept at pressure for days to check for leaks before being covered over, but yes they are innaccessible.
What happens when one of them blows - mind ripping out plasterboard to find the leaky joint? Good luck!
Are they prone tp blowing? Is it not the same as having soldered copper joints covered over? Yes, if one blows it will be an almighty mess....

Why wasnt soldered copper specified?
The specification was left to the plumber / building contractor. The architect spec'd the requirements (bathrooms etc.). I don't have a full drill-down of every detail of spec.

did you go with the cheapest quote?
No

pipes sandwiched in celotex :idea: not in contact with wet screed then - No problem - joints in plastic pipes inaccesible but tested - No problem there then . Looks like I agree with PVM then ;) I`ve seen a damned site worse in 30 years :mrgreen:

pipes sandwiched in celotex :idea: not in contact with wet screed then - No problem - joints in plastic pipes inaccesible but tested - No problem there then . Looks like I agree with PVM then ;) I`ve seen a damned site worse in 30 years :mrgreen:

Still, the felt is not insulation. Compare with sectional pipe insulation and see the difference; cost is the obvious one. You get what you pay for; or, in this case, the contractor gets what he has paid for (not a lot) and the customer does not get what HE has paid for.

I doubt that you will get any details of the thermal conductivity or thickness, because it is not used where there is a specification requirement for a minimum thermal performance of the insulation. I'm certain you'd find a performance requirement in a relevant BS or some such statutory document (CHESS is it? Forget).

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24678

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back