my Callistemon citrinus isnt happy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this a few years now, in a west facing garden sitting in almost full sun position. It's near a large rhododendron which seems more than happy.

Problem with Bottle brush at moment is alot of the leaves are very brown like it is underwatered?! Hmm maybe it is, but reading the forums its seems like it should be a fairly hardy plant. I take it the rhody likes erichaecious soil so this should suit the callistemon as i believe it prefers acicity.
Any suggestions on what i could do to make this plant look healthy again

tia

Sponsored Links
Maybe too exposed, does not like cold. Other than that, acid soil good, full (ish) sun good. Doesn't mind drought or wet soil, so my guess is that it is too exposed.

Thanks Eddie, I was guessing it may be that, it's currently down the end of the garden up against a fence. Oh well im moving soon, ill take it with me and plant it close to the house i guess?

festive said:
Thanks Eddie, I was guessing it may be that, it's currently down the end of the garden up against a fence. Oh well im moving soon, ill take it with me and plant it close to the house i guess?

Trouble with fences is that it's easy to think that they automatically offer protection, depending on the prevailing wind though, they can cause downward blast of air onto the plant. Moving it close to the house could well help.

Sponsored Links
I think that a rhododendron can poison the soil killing of anything that grows near it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back