My car eats headlamp bulbs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Punto 1.2 ELX (X reg) and for the last 3 months or so it has been snacking on headlamp bulbs. Each time the normal beam goes, whereas the high beam stays intact. I change one and then the opposite one goes in a matter of days. Current has been checked at a garage, but open to suggestions as this is getting an expensive habit, never mind the fact you have to dismantle half the car to get the bulb in the passenger side :) Have been using different manufacturer's bulbs too just to make sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I had this in a previous car with pop-up headlamps. I decided it was due to vibration of the headlamp which was more than in most cars.

The dipped beam invariably went first, because most of my driving was on dipped headlights. A hot filament is prone to fail when vibrated, a cold filament is much more resilient.

When a headlamp bulb fails, the other one will get a higher voltage going to it, so will burn out quite soon. You will have noticed that "one-eyed monsters" have an unusually bright "eye."

Usually, when a bulb fails from plain age, I change (at least) the corresponding one on the other side, on the grounds that it is the same age so can be expected to fail soon.

My mum Nissan Mirco was doing this and I've found the connection was dirty, I've cleaned all the connection spade, seems to be okay now.

:idea: put some blue film on the lens and drive around on main beam.

your bulbs will last twice as long and everyone will assume you've got Xenon units fitted.

Get an independant electrical check. To be going through so many in so short a space you must be over current on the bulbs. If it was the fuse then you'd think it was a fire risk, so given that a bulb works on the same principle as a fuse why hasn't the fuse gone first with so many repeated failures?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I did get it all checked out before but I think I might just run it past them again to be safe, the amount I've spent on bulbs recently it's got to be cheaper :)

If you have a headlamp fail, change it quickly, if you drive around with just one headlamp, the extra voltage will shorten the life of the other.

Ron Gamma said:
:idea: put some blue film on the lens and drive around on main beam.
I just hope you are not serious.
Clazza, are you putting the correct rating lamps and a decent brand (such as Osram) in?

Thanks Spark123. I got the shop guy to check it as nobody understood which one I needed and also checked the car info manual so should be ok. They are Lucas bulbs do you suggest I try the Osram and who's the best supplier, only have local car spares shop or Halfords near to me. I will get a new pair this time and see if that helps, good job it's pay day!

Whether it be Lucas, Osram or Halfords I think you'll find that all these companies will be supplying decent bulbs. Halfords don't make bulbs but the other two do. You can be sure that the bulbs Halfords supply will be made by a reputable manufacturer.
I usually go to an independant motor factor for that kind of thing.

JohnD said:
If you have a headlamp fail, change it quickly, if you drive around with just one headlamp, the extra voltage will shorten the life of the other.
:rolleyes:
You have got to be kidding!
Just a thought clazza when your fitting new bulbs are they clean i.e no traces of grease on bulb glass from dirty fingers.
Failing that get the output of the alternator checked properly preferably by an auto electrician one that knows the difference between amps and volts. :)

Stivino said:
You can be sure that the bulbs Halfords supply will be made by a reputable manufacturer.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, I was running a Berlingo just over 3 years ago and kept suffering from failure of the drivers side brake light bulb which I was replacing with Halfords own brand bulbs, after 2 changes I used a GE bulb instead and suffered no further problems.

That said I have used Halfords own brand bulbs in other vehicles in the past without this problem.

tekkiesteve said:
:rolleyes: You have got to be kidding!
No.

The load from two headlamp bulbs drops the supply voltage. When one bulb fails the drain is less and the voltage goes up. The voltage under load is included in the circuit design.

I find it difficult to believe that you have never noticed, when a car with one failed headlamp drives towards you, that the other headlamp is unusually bright and white.

Oh really silly me there i was thinking that all loads on parallel circuits receive the full circuit voltage.
Do tell where the extra voltage comes from on a 12 volt regulated supply.

Tekkie Steve. Thanks for your help. Yes I did make sure the glass wasn't handled, so I am pretty sure that wasn't causing any hot spots.

Had to rush back to the garage tonight before it got dark as I lost all but one side light. We have replaced all the bulbs at the same time but he can't find anything wrong, although like you, he did mention getting the alternator checked. Got the number of an auto electrician and going there on Saturday, just hope they hold out until then - at least it gives me an excuse to leave work on time to get back before it's dark!

I will update with any progress just in case any one else will find it of use :)

Sponsored Links
Back