my concealed cistern and a leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi could really do with some help, i noticed a leak coming down from behind the toilet pan and also a drip from inside cistern. i found out that the drip was from the pipe that feeds clean water and the seal that goes into cistern. to cut a long story short in my long frustrating day, i decided to replace the cistern. all the bits were attached inside so i got the pipe to fit from cistern to bowl, attatched the cistern to wall and thought at last all is going well. then i found that i still had the same drip from the same place. i struggled to push the gasket which is a type of polythene into the back but obviously not in enough. should i use the new rubber gasket in instead and do i put gasket into the bowl or onto the pipe. is there anything else i can do to make it watertight. help needed urgently please... chrissy :(
can i use silicone or plumbers mait?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest using the rubber seal as the plastic ones can sometimes be a bit misshapen. Also in the past I have found that pushing the flush pipe fully into the pan can sometimes cause a leak and that pulling it back out by a few mm can stop it.

Also, is the leak definitely coming from the pan end or could it be running down from the cistern? If the flush pipe is pushed to far into the valve, that can also cause a leak.

You would need to carry out thorough investigation first before changing the parts as you would just be throwing cash away

Sponsored Links
You should always replace components when plumbing as old parts are frequently distorted and no longer seal when re-used. Plumbing spares being so cheap it's also false economy to re-use a 50 pence component..

That's true and well said just that its expensive changing all, I have learned my lesson changed my old ones anyway the new ones were from idealstandardspares.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back