My Dremel 800 has gone phut! Over-voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dremel 800 multi-tool went phut this morning! There was a short spark inside somewhere. I took it apart and tested the speed controller with my multi-meter. There is no output voltage so it would appear that the speed controller circuit has blown somewhere. However, I also noticed that the 10.8v lithium-ion battery is producing an output voltage of 12.2 volts. How can this be? I tested the multi-meter on my car battery and it reads 12.5v so there is nothing wrong with the meter. Is the battety suspect and could this be the cause of the problem? Any suggestions are welcome because I would hate to replace the speed controller and then blow it again.

Sponsored Links
However, I also noticed that the 10.8v lithium-ion battery is producing an output voltage of 12.2 volts. How can this be?

Nominal voltage and peak voltage are two different things. Li-ion cells have a nominal voltage of 3.6V or 3.7V (usually, there are quite a few different chemistries), but their peak can easily exceed 4V, up to about 4.2V. 10.8V/3 = 3.6V, 12.2V/3 = 4.07V.

I tested the multi-meter on my car battery and it reads 12.5v so there is nothing wrong with the meter.

That's not exactly a calibrated voltage source, now is it?

Is the battety suspect and could this be the cause of the problem? Any suggestions are welcome because I would hate to replace the speed controller and then blow it again.

No. The battery is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back