My electric shower stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electric shower stopped working and the light on isolation switch on the ceiling has gone out completely, nothing on the fuse board has popped,
can anyone help a dumb ass plasterer?

Sponsored Links
This is usually because one of the wires from the supply to the switch was loose in its terminal, and has burned away due to the high currents for long periods.

The fix is to fit a new switch, having cut back the heat-damaged copper to bright clean metal (the heat softens it). If you have insufficient spare length you will need an electrician to extend it with a high-pressure crimped joint.

Retighten the terminals after a week, and then again after a month, because stranded copper squashes down over time and these large terminals are prone to going loose.

Sometimes the ceiling isolator fails because it has been used to turn the shower on and off under load (when the shower knob is already turned on).

Thanks John I'll try replace it, got a lot of give on the wire so I'll cut it back, no noticeable damage visually.

If you get a Hager switch you will need the box to go with it, they don't fit other makes

Sponsored Links
Thanks John I'll try replace it, got a lot of give on the wire so I'll cut it back, no noticeable damage visually.
If you find that there is a loose connection, and no signs of overheating (look carefully) you may not need to replace anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back