My expanding front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a timber front door which keeps changing shape. Last winter I had to move the position of the latches and locks, and shave some timber off the edge, as it just kept expanding.

This winter it's worse. Two weeks ago I did the whole exercise again, and shaved loads off the edge. Now today I can hardly open or close the door. How much can a peice of timber keep moving? What am I doing wrong? How can I stop it?

I'm wondering if I need to seal it better. I use woodstain, which says on the tin it seals the wood too. Is there something else I should use?

Thanks for some advice.

Sponsored Links
obviously the timber is expanding, did you re seal the bits after you shaved them?

Yes like I said, with woodstain which says on the tin that it seals it. Is there something better I should use?

try varnish, i may be wrong but woodstain only stains it, not seals it

Sponsored Links
Some doors are made of cheap softwood which tend to expand,you can never really seals door 100% as the timber need to breathe.Best to go for hardwood type which have less expansion rate but having said that you can get cheap mahogany door ! The only way you know the difference between the cheap mahogany door they are lighter than a good quality mahogany door.Heavier the door the better and don't forget good quality door frame as well! Teak door are one of the best but you might have to go down the gym first :LOL:

Your door will settle down eventfully but could end up with a bigger side gap after shrinking period............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back