My floor has gone orange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spent all weekend sanding down my floorboards in my front room. They are old pine boards, original to the house I guess that was built in 1860.

So after getting the boards back to a their natural state I bought some satin polyurethane varnish and put the first coat on, after 10 min the boards started turning orange and patchy! Not what I was aiming for! What I was trying to achieve was a totally natural colour.

1. Why has this happened?
2. Will it fade on the second coat?
3. If No to the above, what should I do? Shall I sand the Orange off?
4. What should I use to gain a natural finish?

Thanks
[/b]

Sponsored Links
heeellloo and welcome Harvs67 :D :D :D

pictures please
product used
preparation before application of varnish [dusting rubbing or solutions used]

Here are some pictures of the floor now and the product used. All I done after sanding was hoovered the area, hoovered a lot, and then applied the varnish to the bare timber. I used a roller to apply the varnish.

As you can see it looks patchy and orange. The timber was a lovely natural colour prior to the varnish.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
One more Thing, I spoke to Sadalin customer services and they said that the product shouldn't of made the timber go orange. They suggested sanding again and then wiping the timber down with mentholated spirits?

Any solvent-based varnish is going to deepen the colour of pine. This will vary depending on the timber. Water-based varnish doesn't do this (but can look plasticky).

I don't see any way to remove this without sanding again fairly deeply, as it will have penetrated the surface. Personally I think your floor looks OK - think "golden" rather than "orange" :)

Cheers
Richard

Unfortunately you will have to resand.
Dont use the Sadolin.
I would suggest a high quality water based sealant probably Bona Traffic.
You would also need to applly Bona Prime first.
Its expensive but looks great not platickyy at all
Remenber the smoother the floor the less dark it will go especially when using any finsh that has a stain in it.
Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back