My kitchen refit.

Sponsored Links
You did seal the exposed edges before fitting the sink, didn't you?

Just seen that it's temporary.
Seal the edges and when you finish everything, run a bead of silicone along the sink cabinet joints.
You never know with that waste...
Very temporary. ;)

IMG_6402.jpeg

I’m having a quartz top fitted but yeah, I will seal the cupboard joints.

Sponsored Links
Did a little bit more today. Ordered a new longer pipe from Amazon for the washing machine, should have been here by 1.00 but actually turned up at a quarter to eight tonight so that held me up on that side of the kitchen. Got on with relocating the cooker switch for the hob into the back of a cupboard. Had a right fiddle trying to get the faceplate screws into the plasterboard back box. They kept pushing the threaded sliders back when I got the screw anywhere near the thread in the back box. In the end I manually pulled the screw sliders forward and glued them in place with a dab of glue. Easy!

IMG_1630.jpeg

I then fitted some handles to some of the cupboards/drawers so we can at least start using them instead of living out of cardboard boxes. Very nearly made the biggest fùck up to date. Was fitting the handle on the bottom of three drawers. I marked it out with military precision and just before I drilled the holes I stood back and took another look, only to find that instead of marking out on the top of the bottom drawer, I’d marked out the bottom of the middle drawer! I went all cold at the thought of drilling a couple holes in the wrong place and fùcking the drawer front up. I called it a day.

IMG_1629.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting there, little by little.

Levelled up the sink base and adjoining cupboard, got them all level with the other cupboards so that they are now ready for a template to be made for the quartz top. Made up a space for the washing machine but noticed that one of the rubbers on one foot had fallen to bits (no wonder it wobbled). Ordered a set of anti-wobble feet from Amazon.

Going return some panels to Magnet. Mrs Mottie decided she wanted a flyover above the hob, only 800 x 350 but they told me I had to order a tall cupboard panel (2118x600) at £125 to cut it from. While I was doing that I worked out that I could cut some false dividers/end panels for in between units and at the end of a run. Why buy a full length panel when you can only see the edge? None of those will be seen side on, just the edge so I’ve been cutting them in half - you can see what I mean so in the photo so I can send at least 4 of those back plus a few other wall unit side panels. We want some extra bits so they can be offset with those expensive, unneeded and unwanted panels! I’m expecting an argument though but I didn’t order them - after discussing the units, the salesman just said he'd sort out the panels and all I saw on the invoice was 'extras'. If I’ve got too many, it’s his fault not mine. The last time I bought a kitchen from Magnet, they discussed end panels and I remember the salesmen telling me to do just that. We'll see.

IMG_1629.jpeg

Mrs Mottie had just informed me the boiler has packed up. No hot water. None in the kitchen but hot water elsewhere. Turned out I’d mixed the flexi's up when reconnecting them to the tap last night. An easy fix.

My builder mate popped round again between golfing holidays. Finished off plastering the reveal now the window has been fitted. He also drilled a 5” hole for the extractor with his core drill. Again, he wouldn’t take a penny from me which was annoying. My extractor says 6” or 5” (min). He only had a set that went up to 5”. You can certainly hear the difference in noise when you fit the 6” to 5” reducing collar so I've ordered a 6” vent kit and I’m going to drill a series of small holes around the outside to make the hole bigger. Bit of a pain but I might as well do it as recommended. Also got to slice a chunk out of one side of the coving and move it to the other side as this extractor chimney is in a different position to the old one.

IMG_6404.jpeg

Enlarged the 5” vent hole to take a 6” vent pipe. Fitted and wired up the extractor and gave the freshly plastered wall a couple of 50/50 coats of paint to seal it. Finished in time for tea too, which is unusual for me!

IMG_6412.jpeg

Well, they came round today and took measurements for the worktop template. Old skool - Pencil, paper, ruler and a drawing pad. No computer / lasers used. Should be 7-10 days. I would have hoped to have it finished by then but I started fitting the wall units today and one of them was the wrong one. Bollux. It was a carcass for a handleless range so it had a different bottom to the unit. . They've got to track one down now and I’m still waiting for the two doors that were missing - the lower ones for the fridge freezer and the larder unit.

Should have looked like this:
IMG_1654.jpeg

But looked like this:
IMG_1653.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back