My male piece isn't long enough .....

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Whilst not wishing to get a bad reputation from my first post, I really do have that problem on a heating circuit I'm installing. I've got a Female 1½" to Male parallel 1" (brass) adapter and the male end is too short for the female part of the next coupling.

Should I

a.) Use two aramid washers;
b.) Use an aramid washer on top of a rubber washer;
c.) Use a brass or stainless or other type of washer as a spacer, with jointing compound or liquid ptfe on the threads;
d.) Saw the female part shorter;
or e.) Find a different way of doing it?

The application is for an unvented underfloor heating system normally running at max. 40°C. and the joint is only likely to be undone in the event of the pump being replaced, or because it's leaking ...

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
I have seen ( and admit to doing it myself ) brass fittings soldered together rather than trust a sealing compound or other means to seal the threaded joint.

I have seen ( and admit to doing it myself ) brass fittings soldered together rather than trust a sealing compound or other means to seal the threaded joint.
So what jointing method would you use on a ground faced seat union????...possibly weld the union as opposed to using jointing compound????:)
...what are your thoughts regarding threaded steel???

Sponsored Links
After doing a bit more research, I'm now thinking of using Loctite 55. The fitting this is going to be attached to is an isolation valve, and I would much rather that it is orientated sensibly. If Loctite 55 means that the male thread doesn't have to be pressed against a washer, I kill two birds with one length of L.55. And, yes, I will try to remember to score the threads! (Is this why some fittings come with the first 3 or 4 threads 'pre-scored', or is there some other reason?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back