My mum used to be a teacher ...

Sponsored Links
Just a point of order on 'older, hence expensive' teachers... Schools (in Wales, but pretty sure all over UK) are funded for salaries based on a school average salary, so if everyone is on top of the scale, the school is funded on that. Adjustments are made in September and April, so if you get rid of a senior teacher, you might make a few quid for a few months.

Drugs, alcohol, mental health issues? Who knows. But I can bet you all my £money that he was known to the local social services who promptly did nothing.

My favourite niece in the whole wide world is married to a head of dept' secondary skool teacher. I was walking down the path to their house one day & saw there were cards in the window, I had to pause for a moment as I thought I'd missed yet another birthday. Turns out they were from some of his pupils who'd recently fledged. Fair brought the tears of joy to my eyes as I read the endorsements within 'em.

Buy him a pint & he'll sit down & tell you all about our skools being full of teachers who are only there for the paycheck & lifestyle. They are amongst some of the most militant & snivelling left wing scumbags that you could ever possibly imagine. Totally resistant to change & hostile to the pupils they treat with contempt.
they have just had a years paid holiday with lockdown, now about to have another SEVEN weeks off for the summer break - why the long faces ?

7 weeks !!!! thats like nearly 2 months - paid...

Buy him a pint & he'll sit down & tell you all about our skools being full of teachers who are only there for the paycheck & lifestyle. They are amongst some of the most militant & snivelling left wing scumbags that you could ever possibly imagine. Totally resistant to change & hostile to the pupils they treat with contempt.
That would include him then, wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
The Ofsted expectations are ridiculously detailed. The teachers only get time to cover the basics but are expected to deliver material for each level of ability in the room. Which the exam boards barely consider. So you get teachers all over the country trying to slice their lessons with that "differentiation" for every subject and year, just for their own classes. When they've each managed to produce it all, over a couple of years, the syllabus changes and all the teachers in all the subjects for all the key stages all over the country, have to start again. Hardly surprising then, that they only teach what's in the syllabus and nothing more.
Tell me about it! I've been there. Every couple of years, or even less, the National Curriculum changes, lesson plans have to be changed or even ditched and completely re-written. Marking policies change too. What I felt most annoying was that, although you're always looking for possible improvements, some pen-pusher then decides that you have been 'doing it all wrong'. You don't have the chance to make your own improvements: more like having to start all over again!

JBR is a staunch Wail reader. Expect nothing resembling the truth from any of his posts. Probably hasn't been anywhere near a school in decades.
Am I? The Mail is a comic. The Express is a comic. I read the Telegraph, now make some fun of that!
I retired from teaching ten years ago, so you're wrong yet again!
Your username is not quite correct. It should be 'Nosenowt'! :ROFLMAO:

I had the misfortune to read a 3 sentence comment written by a primary school teacher from a "very good" catholic school.
One of her pupil would have made less spelling and grammar mistakes.
Appalling!
I understand that there might be a shortage of teachers (maybe?), need to employ foreigners to save money (maybe?) and low standard expectations, but I would expect a teacher to at least be able to write 3 sentences correctly.

I had the misfortune to read a 3 sentence comment written by a primary school teacher from a "very good" catholic school.
One of her pupil would have made less spelling and grammar mistakes.
Appalling!
I understand that there might be a shortage of teachers (maybe?), need to employ foreigners to save money (maybe?) and low standard expectations, but I would expect a teacher to at least be able to write 3 sentences correctly.
I'll give you that one, it's unacceptable. But take comfort in the very good part that you clearly emphasised.

Am I? The Mail is a comic. The Express is a comic. I read the Telegraph, now make some fun of that!
I retired from teaching ten years ago, so you're wrong yet again!
Your username is not quite correct. It should be 'Nosenowt'! :ROFLMAO:
A post by dishonest JBR who hasn't been near a school in over 10 years...
A report in the Daily Mail (yes, my favoured newspaper :D ) today points out that the government's intention to charge health tourists £200 is laughable. It's much cheaper than taking out travellers' health insurance.
Never mind 'meddling', our incomparable government really can't get anything right these days.

The education system and curriculum it pedals is abhorrent. Largely outdated and irrelevant .
With regards to the op , i’m sure most teachers could quote similar events, which luckily are rare in the grand scheme. The truth is probably as likely to be the children who fail to engage or are disruptive could just as easily be the ones with a personality and a young opinion that the ‘education’ and the manner in which they are receiving it is crap.

A post by dishonest JBR who hasn't been near a school in over 10 years...
A report in the Daily Mail (yes, my favoured newspaper :D ) today points out that the government's intention to charge health tourists £200 is laughable. It's much cheaper than taking out travellers' health insurance.
Never mind 'meddling', our incomparable government really can't get anything right these days.
Still completely wrong. I retired from teaching exactly ten years ago.
As for your quote, are you suggesting that I said that? Can you substantiate it?

Hahahaha! 2013 - nine years ago!
I may have read the Mail all those years ago, probably for amusement value (please note the laughing emoticon). I still look at the Express for the same reason, but I certainly don't believe everything their 'journalists' say.
I regularly read the Telegraph for two reasons: it is the only one I can access which employs real journalists; I can access it without paying (and if anyone really wants to know how I'll be happy to explain!)

Is it true that "just over 900,000 pupils are now in classrooms of more than 30 – an increase of 150,000 since 2010?"

(2021 survey)

large class sizes breed problems.

I wonder what the teacher : pupil ratio was where Johnson was at school.

Private education is a great way to get the children of the prosperous to the front of life's queues, while the children of the poor fall off the back.

Thank goodness we have a few famous footballers willing to speak up for the chilren of the poor.

But should we need famous footballers for that?

it would be as bad as expecting 90-year old ex-servicemen to fundraise to fill the NHS funding gaps

Worked in loads of schools over the years

Discipline in the funded schools imo is was dire

Worked in some type of therapeutic learning centre years ago for young teens that were supposedly bright but way ward

All a bunch of fruit cakes imo and that included the teaching staff who
Reminded me of a bunch of hippies

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back