My new DVD player USB socket will not recognise photos. Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,I bought this LG DVD player with usb input for photos. They gave me another when it would not recognise photos although I formated the sticks in different ways and with three different memory sticks and hard drives.

LG advised me that it may not recognise "Lossy Compression " jpgs and if my pics are of this type, I should remove the compression.

How do I find out if they are LC jpgs and if so how do I remove this LC please.
Regards

Sponsored Links
I wonder if they meant 'lossless' rather than lossy? You see, nearly all jpeg pictures are lossy by design. Typically, saving as jpeg throws away 90% of the image data, but we don't perceive that when viewing. That's the whole point of jpeg. So it's a bit odd to say 'Hey, we don't recognise lossy jpegs. Please reformat ' when in reality practically every jpeg file is lossy.

Lossless jpeg exists as a file format, but hardly anyone uses it. There are better file formats to preserve quality. There's also something called interlaced jpeg which was used when internet speeds were limited such as the old dial-up modem system.

It can be frustrating trying to get some of this stuff to work with AV gear. It's useful to remember that DVD players, TVs, home cinema systems and the like aren't as flexible as a PC or laptop, so you have to have all your dominoes lined up properly before things work. It sounds like you might have covered some of those bases already, but lets recap just in case

Unless your manual says otherwise, then the following basic conditions apply...

1) The USB drive generally needs so have a capacity of less that 32Gb. i.e you can't use a 64Gb, but a 16Gb or 8Gb would be okay

2) The drive can't be one that uses a custom- or built-in driver file

3) It should be formatted by a Windows PC, and either formatted to FAT32 or NTFS file format

4) There should be no more than 600 files/folders on the drive

5) Each jpeg file should end in .jpg and not .jpeg

6) Each jpeg should be under 2Mb in size

7) Lossless and progressive scan jpegs aren't supported

8) There may also be a limit on the pixel size of each file i.e. 1600x1200. If you have a camera that takes (or creates) very high resolution jpeg files then you might need to reduce them in size so the player can cope

For any more assistance we could do with knowing the model number of your LG DVD player :)

Thank you Lucid I tried with a memory stick in accordance with the points you mentioned but no joy, I am wondering if I should change the jpegs
to a different format,although I would have to be told how.

The machine is an LGBP350, about £70.00 by the way.

Best
Alan

Sponsored Links
Does not have to be formatted on pc, Mac will do the same.
Lossy compression is irreversible as some of the data is disguarded permanently at creation.
You could drop pics onto a dvd/cd creating a slide show on computer which should sort any problems.

Last edited:
Thank you Lucid I tried with a memory stick in accordance with the points you mentioned but no joy, I am wondering if I should change the jpegs
to a different format,although I would have to be told how.

The machine is an LGBP350, about £70.00 by the way.

Best
Alan
Thanks for the model number. The user manual for your player says that it will play files ending .jpeg as well as .jpg and it suggests a maximum resolution of 4000x3000 pixels for 24bit files and a 3000x3000 for 36bit files. What resolution and colour depth are your jpeg files?

Have you tried a different USB flash drive?

Changing the file format really depends on what software you have on your computer. I have a couple of different graphics packages. Both offer the option to "Save As" and select a new file format.

Signature: Did we help? Then use the THANKS button. It's free and it marks good advice for other readers

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...t-recognise-photos-help.499499/#ixzz59rTpsobn

You might have to have the photos inside a specifically named directory, perhaps PHOTOS or DCIM. I know my playstation will only play films contained inside FILMS.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Hello Lucid, I have tried a variety of memory sticks, file sizes, different folders, portable hard drive etc. for the pics to no avail but something strange has happened.
My wife suggested that while there is a disc (a dvd film) in the drive, the machine will try to play it although in the off position. I took the dvd out of the tray and lo and behold, it seems to recognise all the sticks with photos. I did have my pics in directories Nozzle.

Thanks everybody, I will experiment over the weekend and let you know.

Peculiar I think.
Alan

OK Nozzle, to get to the point, all is working well now. It does not work while there is a dvd disc in the drive. I would have thought that the circuitry would
allow a usb stick to work whether the tray has a disc in it or not, but I have experimented several times and the tray has to be empty before the machine
will recognise photos on a memory stick. The other thing is the directory. This LG player creates an empty folder called BUDA (whatever that means)
I put the photos and folders in that directory.

I think the main thing is the matter of the disc tray. This is what seemed to stop the usb stick from being recognised.
Have a good weekend everybody.
Alan

Thanks AlanE, all is well now, I do put my pics in the Buda folder. but is was the fact that the usb stick was not read while there was a disc in the drive. Strange really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back