My new ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I just want to check a couple of points before I proceed with my new ensuite.

Do I need to inform the council that I am adding a ensute in my home? (showers, hand basin and loo?)

The soil stack is about 15 meters away from the location of the loo, I know that it is to far for an un-vented branch, by adding a vent can Ihave a branch this long?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Yes you need to inform your local building control fo what you are planing to do.

Also you need to look at Approved Document H of the building regs. This will tell you what you need to do.

Rico

In addition to Part H which covers drainage & waste, also be aware that the electrics must comply with Part P; you must have forced ventilation (a fan) in addition to any window (but you don’t have to have a window) - Part F; & any stud wall between a room containing a w/c & another habitable room (bedroom next door!) must be constructed from Sound Block boarding & filled with 25mm minimum mineral wool insulation - Part E.
You can download the lot free from here:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

In addition to Part H which covers drainage & waste, also be aware that the electrics must comply with Part P; you must have forced ventilation (a fan) in addition to any window (but you don’t have to have a window) - Part F; & any stud wall between a room containing a w/c & another habitable room (bedroom next door!) must be constructed from Sound Block boarding & filled with 25mm minimum mineral wool insulation - Part E.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html[/QUOTE]

The en-suite is going against external walls so sound proofing is not a problem.

I am a JIB approved electrician with the 2391 and am personally applying to join the ECA. For an extra £360 +vat they will register for part P, so I will be allowed to rewire my own house.......

(mutters something about money making exercise)

thanks for the info and I'm waiting for the local building control to phone me back

Sponsored Links
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html[/QUOTE]

The en-suite is going against external walls so sound proofing is not a problem.

I am a JIB approved electrician with the 2391 and am personally applying to join the ECA. For an extra £360 +vat they will register for part P, so I will be allowed to rewire my own house.......

thanks for the info and I'm waiting for the local building control to phone me back
Blimey that was a lot easier than usual! ;)

Blimey that was a lot easier than usual! ;)

they have got back in touch, and the fat lady hasn't sung yet :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back